Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Might be time to empty the ashes...  (Read 3020 times)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Might be time to empty the ashes...
« on: October 05, 2019, 10:12:20 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokeyjoe

• WKC Brave
Re: Might be time to empty the ashes...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 11:13:31 AM »
Impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
ISO Red Outrider.

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 08:52:03 AM »
Wow, how long did it take you to fill it up? 1 season or 2?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Might be time to empty the ashes...
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 09:46:52 AM »
Since June 2019[emoji16]

I do a lot of low and slow cooks in weekends.  Usually at least 5 hours of lns cooking.  I’d say I cook on a kettle 5-6 days a week when the weather is warm.  Therefore, lotsa ash.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 10:03:11 AM by michaelmilitello »

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 11:55:47 AM »
I need to get one of those for my ash. I've been dumping in my fire pit, so now I'm gonna have to shovel it all out eventually.

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 03:13:07 PM »

I need to get one of those for my ash. I've been dumping in my fire pit, so now I'm gonna have to shovel it all out eventually.

Yes..... Been there . It’s. pain in the ass .

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 06:10:45 AM »
I don't have a whole lot of ash sitting around. First, I use RO lump exclusively, which produces very little ash. When I am done with a cook, and everything has cooled down, I dump them in my trash bag. Done. :-)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 06:36:04 AM »
I'm sure our local garbage men hate me with the occasional ash bomb that results from them dumping our garbage into the truck. If my wife would allow me to dump the ashes into the garden, we'd have a retaining wall.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 07:28:16 AM »
spaceballs-surrounded-ash.jpg" border="0
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 02:18:55 PM »
I'm sure our local garbage men hate me with the occasional ash bomb that results from them dumping our garbage into the truck. If my wife would allow me to dump the ashes into the garden, we'd have a retaining wall.
Putting them in your garden would be a big mistake because the potassium hydroxide will make the alkalinity of the soil go way up, then the un-composted grease will get you a fly infestation or gophers stopping by for dinner. If your burning brickettes you'll have even worse results. A few handfuls scattered widely is ok but clumps will do you more harm than good.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 05:51:27 AM »
Putting them in your garden would be a big mistake because the potassium hydroxide will make the alkalinity of the soil go way up, then the un-composted grease will get you a fly infestation or gophers stopping by for dinner. If your burning brickettes you'll have even worse results. A few handfuls scattered widely is ok but clumps will do you more harm than good.

Hence why my wife won't allow it.  She's the genius of the family!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 06:07:17 AM »
Maybe I’m an idiot but I usually scrape out my bowl and dump it on the back part of our back yard. Then I’ll rake the ash to spread it out a tad. I use all natural briquettes. My grass isn’t dead yet.

Should I get a large metal can to collect in then set it out to the trash? Seems like a lot of management for ash.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 05:11:46 PM »
My galvanized can came as a result of melting down a plastic trash can (when I thought they were cool...alcohol was involved...bad bad bad)

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2019, 06:10:44 AM »
My galvanized can came as a result of melting down a plastic trash can (when I thought they were cool...alcohol was involved...bad bad bad)

Oh I've done that before - one morning in a rush to get to church (trying to multi-task), I dumped the ashes from our fire pit into the garbage bin. The just-ever-so-smoldering embers from caught fire by lunchtime.  Luckily, our neighbor's daughter happened to see the flames running up through the hole it made in the bottom corner and got our attention to put it out.  Scary stuff for sure - I'm more patient now!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 07:00:00 AM »
I do exactly as Michael does. Is yours a 3 gallon?  I have a 3 gallon with lid. I highly recommend it if your like me and do not have a spot to dump it. It’s a safe non flammable container to store spent ashes and the lid snuffs out any remaining embers. After it’s full and none have been added for a few days, I dump it in a trash bag and throw away. It’s very easy and you will never have to worry about starting a fire in your trash can.

Also if you need to dump hot ashes for whatever reason, you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app