Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: CGA - Looking for advice  (Read 1148 times)

Cellar2ful

CGA - Looking for advice
« on: October 12, 2019, 04:24:32 PM »

Got jealous looking at @JEBIV 's beach vacation photos.  Booked an Air BnB beach house here on the West Coast next week.  The house comes with a 22" Weber kettle.  We have 11 family and friends coming for dinner one night. Needing a grill to cook some stuffed mushrooms and prosciutto wrapped shrimp on but don't want to hall a kettle.   The back of my truck is already packed with enough crap.  Thinking of throwing a CGA in my truck. I have several Weber CGA and have never used one.  How much charcoal do I use?  How long would you suggest cooking prosciutto wrapped shrimp on a CGA?  It think I can set up an indirect cook on the CGA for the stuffed mushrooms.  Guess I'll dial back the amount of apple wood I throw on for smoke. 

@inkaddictedchef1 
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: CGA - Looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 06:15:12 PM »
A lot.fewer than you think, 15 should do it, the temp is tight in the cga, cooked a 1.25 pound snapper filet in 11 minutes indirect no flip and 45 seconds direct, could have cooked 3 more 1 at a time the same way

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 06:44:24 PM »

Thanks Joe.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 08:54:14 PM »
I’d set up your CGA yakitori style and do the shrimp direct at a couple minutes a side. Lid open is fine but your charcoal will burn out faster so plan accordingly. On the fly temp adjustment on the CGA isn’t great. Moving those vents when the grill is hot is a PITA. Practice on the CGA before the actual day of. Pro tip: the CGA has lid hooks that hang off the bowl. 

I would do it like this:

Cook mushrooms first:

Bank maybe 10 lit charcoal over some unlit charcoal and wood chip on the side of the CGA.
Simple heat deflector made of folded foil.
Set mushrooms indirect on other side of the CGA
Lid vent above the mushrooms open, bottom vents cracked open at an angle. (Vents on mushroom side fully closed, other side open. Try it and it will make more sense.
Cook until done and remove mushrooms.

Shrimp:
Open lid and let charcoal catch fire.
Close bottom vents for lower heat. Gloves on when you adjust the bottom vent. We will be cooking open lid.
Spread out charcoal on bottom.
Cook skewers indirect, yakitori side. You can get fancy and extend the skewers outside of the bowl and love them by hand.
Seat a few minutes each side. Medium heat is important so practice this week. Raise the grate above the bowl if necessary.
Serve as the skewers finish.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 09:09:56 PM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791