Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Greetings from Essex, UK  (Read 1271 times)

Stufat

• Happy Cooker
Greetings from Essex, UK
« on: June 02, 2019, 02:24:02 AM »
Hi everyone.
I've just invested in my first Weber and my eyes have gone square from reading about them and watching you tube vids.
I was debating getting a smokey mountain but went for the master touch 57cm in the end, it's being delivered tomorrow.
I've had a gas Outback for years which I love, but decided to see if I'd enjoy cooking with charcoal/wood again, so bought myself a cheap ass smoker.
It's a bugger to use because it's so cheap, leaks smoke and heat at a crazy rate and everything seems to burn because the fire box is too close to the chamber.
Even with this I'd got the bug, hence where I am now.
I work in a farm so have big discounts on turkey and beef so that'll be fun.
Hopefully I can get some great advice and tips as I start my new journey

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
Re: Greetings from Essex, UK
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 05:55:57 AM »
Welcome from Virginia Beach, VA, U.S.A.

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 06:17:21 AM »
Howdy @Stufat from Czech Republic. You cannot go wrong with the 22 incher (that's 57cm for us). Weber is pretty good at air control and whatever else you need you will find in the wisdom of the guys here and some wallet-draining aftermarket goodies which of course you must have :P

Which color did you get? Interesting how the available colors vary by region. There's been a rash of ivory purchases lately, coupla threads here on the forums.
Beer! It's what's for dinner...

Stufat

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 06:24:23 AM »
Howdy @Stufat from Czech Republic. You cannot go wrong with the 22 incher (that's 57cm for us). Weber is pretty good at air control and whatever else you need you will find in the wisdom of the guys here and some wallet-draining aftermarket goodies which of course you must have [emoji14]

Which color did you get? Interesting how the available colors vary by region. There's been a rash of ivory purchases lately, coupla threads here on the forums.
I wanted to go for the green, but the Mrs put the dampers on that idea. I went for the slate grey in the end. It seems we have 5 colourways in UK - green, grey, red, black, blue.
Not sure my wallet goes deep enough for all weber branded goods... £59 for a cover [emoji15]

Got my dpd confirmation just now for my delivery tomorrow. Can't wait to learn how to use it

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 07:49:00 AM »
Howdy @Stufat from Czech Republic. You cannot go wrong with the 22 incher (that's 57cm for us). Weber is pretty good at air control and whatever else you need you will find in the wisdom of the guys here and some wallet-draining aftermarket goodies which of course you must have [emoji14]

I wanted to go for the green, but the Mrs put the dampers on that idea. I went for the slate grey in the end. It seems we have 5 colourways in UK - green, grey, red, black, blue.
Not sure my wallet goes deep enough for all weber branded goods... £59 for a cover [emoji15]

Got my dpd confirmation just now for my delivery tomorrow. Can't wait to learn how to use it

We have explanations for all the names and acronyms for the carriers in Czech Republic. DPD stands for "Doubtful the Package will be Delivered." :P Actually they do quite ok here. I think the grey will be very nice.

I chose Ivory because it will disappear on my balcony and not be an eyesore. I understand your wife's aversion to the green. It's a great color but probably wouldn't be received very well if you have it in view of the neighbors. There were more earlier but now we have only blue/grey, black, and grey on the Weber site. But the authorized dealers have Ivory on blowout and they've also got the red collector's edition and another few choices. It feels like it's getting close to a new model year or some new colors. I did buy the cheaper of the two covers, the more expensive one is 62.5 GBP equivalent. We've got it worse than you ;)

I haven't been to a Weber dealer here but it seems like some of their stuff is very good. The chimney comes highly recommended here on the forums so I bought one and it is huge and seems well built. Other things like the spatulas and tongs don't look that great from the pics but I haven't seen them so I really don't know.

I had never heard of the "World of Barbecue" but we have some of his branded accessories here. They were cheap, so I took a chance on two spatulas. They're stainless, huge and full-tang. They're super quality, especially for the price.

We're fortunate to have a decent supply of lump. We don't have the variety of brands that the Americans have but we have a couple of local producers. And we can get big bags of beech and alder and some other woods cheaply enough.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 07:52:35 AM by dogman »
Beer! It's what's for dinner...

Stufat

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 07:58:24 AM »

We have explanations for all the names and acronyms for the carriers in Czech Republic. DPD stands for "Doubtful the Package will be Delivered." [emoji14] Actually they do quite ok here. I think the grey will be very nice.

I chose Ivory because it will disappear on my balcony and not be an eyesore. I understand your wife's aversion to the green. It's a great color but probably wouldn't be received very well if you have it in view of the neighbors. There were more earlier but now we have only blue/grey, black, and grey on the Weber site. But the authorized dealers have Ivory on blowout and they've also got the red collector's edition and another few choices. It feels like it's getting close to a new model year or some new colors. I did buy the cheaper of the two covers, the more expensive one is 62.5 GBP equivalent. We've got it worse than you ;)

I haven't been to a Weber dealer here but it seems like some of their stuff is very good. The chimney comes highly recommended here on the forums so I bought one and it is huge and seems well built. Other things like the spatulas and tongs don't look that great from the pics but I haven't seen them so I really don't know.

I had never heard of the "World of Barbecue" but we have some of his branded accessories here. They were cheap, so I took a chance on two spatulas. They're stainless, huge and full-tang. They're super quality, especially for the price.

We're fortunate to have a decent supply of lump. We don't have the variety of brands that the Americans have but we have a couple of local producers. And we can get big bags of beech and alder and some other woods cheaply enough.
I'm using some Weber briquettes on my leaky smoky at the moment and they seem to hit a high of about 210f.
Thanks for your tips so far, I'll check out the site

Sent from my SM-T585 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 04:42:37 AM »
Welcome from Doraville,Ga. USA
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Jimmy McGoose

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 12:54:44 PM »
Welcome to the club, I’m based in Kent and pretty new here too. If you get the chance take a trip to Riverside Garden Centre, about an hour north of London. I took my first trip this weekend and could have spent the whole day and a lot of money there!!

Anyway, look forward to hearing more about this cheap meat [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 06:19:03 PM »
Welcome from Plainfield, Indiana USA [emoji631]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomeda19

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 06:34:22 PM »
Hi i have a leaky kettle too, i bought a gasket for oven I  ebay. Problem sorted (except its a bit out of shape) i love the green blends I  a garden but so does the grey.  I'm new too and think iv looked at all youtube too. Enjoy

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 07:27:58 PM »
Welcome from just outside Chicago, IL U.S.A.!
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

BigEll

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 11:32:41 PM »
Welcome Stufat. I’m in the [emoji636] in Surrey. Been BBQing for some 35 years and been a Weber man since. Although I think I know pretty much everything there is to know about techniques, that wasn’t true until I joined the forum here! These guys are way above in knowledge and are always willing to share which I like!
My wife and I have been going to the USA [emoji631] for about 35 years plus and that’s where I caught the bug! When it comes to BBQing or as our Yankee cousins call it grilling, they are the masters! Watch a few on YouTube, guys like TRoy, Pitmasters, etc. Amazing!
My collection was a Weber E320 Genesis together with a Weber Performer SS until recently when I acquired a Weber Smokey Mountain 57cm. WoW. What a game changer! [emoji16][emoji16].
So like me enjoy the ride. Oh btw I’ve been doing the Christmas turkey on the charcoal for over 30 years, leaving her indoors to play with her over for all the trimmings! Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 01:40:34 PM »
Welcome from Highland Park, Illinois, USA (north of Chicago). Enjoy the collective wisdom of the masses here!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again