Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Temp control: adjust top or bottom vents?  (Read 4083 times)

KevinInStL

• WKC Brave
Temp control: adjust top or bottom vents?
« on: September 07, 2019, 09:59:10 AM »
So this Meathead guy at amazingribs.com https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/using-vents-control-temperature says to leave your exhaust vent fully open all the time, and control your temps with the intake. He seems like he knows what he's talking about.

But Weber recommends the opposite; leave the intake fully open and control temps with the exhaust. Can't find the page on Weber's site where they make this recommendation, but I know I've seen it before. Apparently I'm remembering correctly because Meathead and a reader discuss this in the comments in the post linked to above.

Which do you do and why? Does it make much difference?

I'm using a newer 22" kettle with the one-touch intake if it matters. No triple daisy wheel intakes here, but would that make a difference? (besides in the convenience of making 1 vs 3 adjustments?)

Thanks!
ISO: Dark red/crimson mist kettle (cooker condition). 18" preferred, but a 22" would be awesome too.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Temp control: adjust top or bottom vents?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 10:18:24 AM »
This will probably be a heated debate but the truth is you can use either or both to get where your going. The only thing You don’t want to do is fully close or mostly close the top vent alone to bring temps down. This can cause soot on your food and you do not want that. If I’m trying to bring temp down or cook really low and slow, I crack the bottom one touch and close the top vent down to half once the fire is good and established. You can choke the top down to a quarter at this point and still have no ill affects imo.

With all that said, my primary control is the bottom vent and I go to the top vent when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 10:20:04 AM by HoosierKettle »

DynaGlide

• WKC Brave
Re: Temp control: adjust top or bottom vents?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 11:51:54 AM »
I'm a top vent for control person. I like that I can see exactly how much I'm opening it. The bottom vent you're guessing, even if you label it with a sharpie. The trick with the Weber is the lid leaks so you have the potential for heat increases running the bottom wide open.

I just did this on a rib cook on my 26 using fire bricks and was amazed at how stable it was. Bottom open, top open a sliver or so.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

T_om

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 07:23:36 AM »
You can certainly use both.  However, the reason for leaving the top as open as possible (providing you can hold your control temperature) is that with the top open, you get better airflow around the meat.

On both my Kamado Joe and my Weber Performer, I try and use the bottom vent to control the temperatures first.  Then, if needed, I will start closing off the top.

Tom
Old Beat Up Weber Performer Deluxe Gen 2 and yeah, I'm keeping it. :)
Kamado Joe Classic II
PK Original

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 01:06:13 PM »
Personally, I keep the bottom wide open and use the top to control temp. Unless, I'm smoking... then I keep the bottom around 1/4 or less and still use the top for control.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 06:52:04 PM »
I consider my vents like bike gears. I use my bottom vent for major tuning (front gear) and the top vent for fine tuning (back gear).

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 07:38:45 AM »
Because I don't have the ash catcher basket and bracket for my one-touch cleaning system, there's no place to mark how open the bottom vents are.  It's too much of a pain to try to look underneath to see how open the bottom vents are while you're smoking, so I simply leave 'em open and adjust the top vent for everything.  I've had decent success this way.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 07:47:55 AM »
I control with the bottom vent. That's nearest to the coals and airflow is crucial down there. Top vent wide open... it's the chimney...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

KevinInStL

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 09:35:51 AM »
Cool thanks for the input everyone. I like the bike gears analogy, Schaefd2.
ISO: Dark red/crimson mist kettle (cooker condition). 18" preferred, but a 22" would be awesome too.

wzywg

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 08:34:12 AM »
I consider my vents like bike gears. I use my bottom vent for major tuning (front gear) and the top vent for fine tuning (back gear).

Love it. Bottom for bulk temp control, top for fine tuning. Makes sense to me!

whaascarson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 03:28:19 PM »

This is one of the best quotes I’ve seen so far in here. Awesome!

1989 Weber Kettle 22"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 05:38:08 PM »
I always run top vent wide open.  It’s the chimney and you want exhaust open creating The convection inside. If I need to really bring heat down fast I’ll add cold water to my drip pan as a heat sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 07:27:25 AM »
Interesting..... I swear I learn something new every time I come on this site.

Based on some of the responses I've seen, I was compelled to purchase the ash catcher system for my 22 solely so I could mark the bottom vent positions and give the bottom vent control method a try.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 10:04:15 AM »
I figure it this way, If I leave the top vent open, smoke and heat can exhaust efficiently. If I use the bottom vent, I can control the amount of air coming in to fuel the charcoal to control the temp.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2019, 02:38:33 PM »
Ready to give the bottom vent method a try!