Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mod Legs For a 26"  (Read 1281 times)

brisketandbourbon

• Happy Cooker
Mod Legs For a 26"
« on: August 18, 2019, 05:40:41 AM »
Does anyone on this site make and sell replacement legs for the crappy ones on the 26"?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Mod Legs For a 26"
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 05:56:04 AM »
I don’t think the legs are any worse than legs on a 22. The wobble is more noticeable on a 26 because of the weight. But, my original legs have worked just fine for ten years and counting. I only notice wobble when moving it around just like all sizes of kettles I have.

What problems are you having with the legs?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 06:26:56 AM »
It’s not the legs, it’s the sockets that don’t hold up under the weight of the 26er.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Mod Legs For a 26"
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 10:06:49 AM »
Just restored a 50 year old 26.  There’s nothing wrong with the sockets in my opinion.  Once I straightened out the legs from where the old friction points were and swapped the right and left rear legs, it’s solid.  Some wobble, but I have no worries moving it.  There’s 20 pounds more weight than the 22 and that makes the difference.  Weber has a propensity to use the same hardware regardless of size.  Makes sense economically.   This might have been a time where slightly beefier hardware would have helped.   The ranch probably changed for that reason. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 11:43:05 AM »
If you don't like the legs as they are I would recommend you look through the mod section or search for a couple alternatives.

The first is to take a gen 2 or later performer cart, modify it, and put a 26 inch grill where the 22 inch used to be. Then fabricate a custom table out if the material of your choosing. 

The second alternative is a bit more complicated.  Essentially it is taking the design of the Ranch cart and applying it to a 26.  You can either do this by having your own frame cut and welded or trying to buy the parts for a ranch and cutting them down to fit.  You may have trouble with the later though as weber may not want to sell the parts if you don't own a ranch.

Good luck finding or moding it into something you are happy with.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 12:22:42 PM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 12:09:11 PM »
If you want to keep the triangle, you can always replace the legs with something more stiff and durable.

Simple & functional mods.
 https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=63141&share_tid=42513&url=http%3A%2F%2Fweberkettleclub%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D42513&share_type=t

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 09:07:28 PM »
Newer kettles with the push button lock are made with more play in the leg socket than the older friction fit sockets.  This leads to more wobble.
The 26 due to it's weight exagerates the wobble.  I wrapped a layer or two of silver HVAC tape around the legs cutting out room for the button and have almost no wobble.

Sent from my XT1650 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

brisketandbourbon

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 10:20:25 AM »
I don’t think the legs are any worse than legs on a 22. The wobble is more noticeable on a 26 because of the weight. But, my original legs have worked just fine for ten years and counting. I only notice wobble when moving it around just like all sizes of kettles I have.

What problems are you having with the legs?

No real problem. I just hate the wobble! I can live with it.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 01:59:57 PM »

Whenever I move my 26" kettles, I do it in two moves.  I first carry the lid and cooking grate to where it needs to be moved, then I move the bottom half of the kettle, rolling it to it's location.  This relieves a lot of weight/stress put on the handles welds along with the leg sockets.  I actually do this when moving my 22"ers also when they need to be moved more than a few feet. My grills have a lot of added weight with SS Killa Grilla grates and SNS's. This two step process also prevents any kettle tipping, lid rash disasters.  I developed this routine after I tipped my MT moving it a few years ago.  Only thing that saved me was the lid bail saved the bowl from hitting the concrete and I had a hold of the lid handle when it tipped.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 05:56:27 PM »
IMO the legs on the 26’rs are POS!
Build a cart for it or modify a Ranch Kettle frame

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!