Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I need a huge favor, literally.  (Read 1598 times)

avega2792

• WKC Brave
I need a huge favor, literally.
« on: August 13, 2019, 01:12:00 PM »
I’m going to handle cooking duties for an event and I would love to make a big impression at said event. I’m wondering if their is a grillfella in the Chicago burbs that could let me borrow a Ranch kettle. I know this is asking a lot, but I have to try! Thanks in advance!

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: I need a huge favor, literally.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 01:21:58 PM »
I would love to help but I am a days drive away and haven't even had my maiden voyage cook on her myself.

Might be able to find a few guys with a ranch here:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=8315.0

Ranch Kettle owners thread & showoff

Best of luck man.  If it is for a good cause they might even assist in the cook.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 01:26:42 PM »
Big shout out to @Kneab. Not 5 minutes after I posted he calls me and points me in the direction to get a ranch! Big big thanks!

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 01:28:11 PM »
Big shout out to @Kneab. Not 5 minutes after I posted he calls me and points me in the direction to get a ranch! Big big thanks!
To borrow or buy for a good price? If it was a good deal to buy that is just a crazy coincidence lol

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 01:42:51 PM »
Basically borrow direct from Weber!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 01:47:39 PM »
Kneab is grate grillfella!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 01:52:55 PM »
The ranch is so big they have to send it out on test drives like selling a car. Lol

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 03:05:15 PM »
The ranch is so big they have to send it out on test drives like selling a car. Lol

Totally

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 03:45:28 PM »
Glad you were able to secure a Ranch.  I’d give it a couple test runs, if possible, before the event.  There’s a little learning curve if you’re doing anything other than direct. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 04:38:56 PM »
Glad you were able to secure a Ranch.  I’d give it a couple test runs, if possible, before the event.  There’s a little learning curve if you’re doing anything other than direct. 

At the event I am doing in am makeing burgers and brats/dogs for about 50 people. Planned on putting about a chimney each unstarted coal on each side and dropping a lit chimney on each side. Use the hot side to sear the burgers/dogs then indirect to finish them. If necessary I would throw them on direct again to get them done sooner.  Might use a little bit if wood just for a smokey flavor.

Any other recommendations?

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 05:11:02 PM »

At the event I am doing in am makeing burgers and brats/dogs for about 50 people. Planned on putting about a chimney each unstarted coal on each side and dropping a lit chimney on each side. Use the hot side to sear the burgers/dogs then indirect to finish them. If necessary I would throw them on direct again to get them done sooner.  Might use a little bit if wood just for a smokey flavor.

Any other recommendations?

You might pull the grate, lay your unlit on the back half of the grate, dump your lot over that and put the grate back on.  All heat in one area makes it easier to keep up with things.  Have the front part of grate be your indirect zone.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 05:39:51 PM »
Kneab is grate grillfella!

Thanks for the kind words Charlie [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 06:15:45 PM »
I don’t think I’ll be doing more than dogs and burgers at the event itself, but I’ll have to pick it up on Friday and I don’t have to return it until Monday so I’m thinking some ribs on Sunday is a good idea.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 04:14:42 AM »

You might pull the grate, lay your unlit on the back half of the grate, dump your lot over that and put the grate back on.  All heat in one area makes it easier to keep up with things.  Have the front part of grate be your indirect zone.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
[/quote]

I kind of wondered about this.  I have seen people go either half or split.  Having one zone does seem a little easier.  The only plus I could see to split would be a more even temp throughout the kettle.  Since I haven't really used it before I will try your method.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 04:28:47 AM »
Just make sure your indirect is in front, you don't want to be reaching over that hot beast
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill