Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I need a huge favor, literally.  (Read 1596 times)

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: I need a huge favor, literally.
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 05:31:42 AM »
I have heard of burning belly fat, but that would be a bit extreme. :p
Just make sure your indirect is in front, you don't want to be reaching over that hot beast

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 06:52:40 AM »
I can’t wait to handle that beast!

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 07:01:58 AM »
I have to cook about a dozen chicken kebabs tonight and want to be able to zone cook them.  Might throw a chunk of misquite wood on there as well.

I am currently debating using the monster even though it is pretty unnecessary. Haha.

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2019, 07:22:53 AM »
Just make sure your indirect is in front, you don't want to be reaching over that hot beast
Grate advice.  Of course, when you are doing the initial searing of the burgers, you’re gonna feel like you’re in the kettle with ‘em.  The drippings create a fire that puts out heat similar to a blast furnace [emoji29]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 07:53:55 AM »

I have to cook about a dozen chicken kebabs tonight and want to be able to zone cook them.  Might throw a chunk of misquite wood on there as well.

I am currently debating using the monster even though it is pretty unnecessary. Haha.

Go for broke!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2019, 02:33:07 PM »
The wife decided we are making 18 kebabs so the decision was a little easier to bring the monster out for its first cook!

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2019, 05:27:15 PM »

You might pull the grate, lay your unlit on the back half of the grate, dump your lot over that and put the grate back on.  All heat in one area makes it easier to keep up with things.  Have the front part of grate be your indirect zone.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I kind of wondered about this.  I have seen people go either half or split.  Having one zone does seem a little easier.  The only plus I could see to split would be a more even temp throughout the kettle.  Since I haven't really used it before I will try your method.
[/quote]
Lots of different ways to set the ranch up, and most of them aren't "wrong".  Rather, a matter of personal preference.

My setup changes depending on what I'm cooking.   Lots of burgers and dogs?    That could potentially be a lot to deal with.  Having coals right and left gives you two direct heat cooking areas to keep track of and manage.   I've found it to be easier to have it all in one place.

If feeling really froggy, you could actually set up 3 zones.   Same basic setup to start with.  But when it comes time to dump the lit coals, lay them heavier at the rear and lighter towards the front of the setup

Burgers in back over higher heat.  Dogs in front still over direct heat but not as hot.  Warming are in the front.

Also, when half the charcoal grate is loaded with lit coals, when you close the lid, the front is goint to get hot stupidly quick.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2019, 05:29:53 PM »
The wife decided we are making 18 kebabs so the decision was a little easier to bring the monster out for its first cook!

2 chimneys! (Spoken in my best 2 chains voice)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 05:32:09 PM by Walchit »

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2019, 07:06:52 PM »
After the first cook think @demosthenes9 is absolutely right with keeping a back/front or left/right grilling zone for general grilling with lots of burgers/brats to move and manage.  I think this is how I will run 90% of the time unless I am wanting to cook something indirect where having a zone over each flip up grate might work best.  I guess having a zone over each flip up grate also might work well if you want to keep two items over separate areas or you think you will need to refuel to keep going on a really long session. 

@demosthenes9 I am not sure what you are looking to cook for your event (or how long), but I started with two heaping chimneys full of charcoal and after having them mostly lit and  dumping them it covered half of the charcoal grate quite well.  I imagine if your cook time isn't too long (like serving hundreds) then it should be enough to get through a grilling session.  I am guessing that I will be cooking for about 40 or 50 people and they will be burgers and hot dogs or brats. 

@brewtownbeatdown and demosthenes9 are right about it putting off lots of heat.  At one point I opened the kettle up and had to turn my head away from the blast of heat.  I actually struggled with it getting so hot that the skewers were catching fire.  Everyone was happy with the kebabs, but it really didn't go as well as I would have liked.  I worried too much about getting the chicken kebabs to temp and having 18 of them became too much of a juggling act.  It would have been a lot better with steak kebabs in my opinion because most people don't want theirs well done.  It didn't help either that I was rushed to get things finished so dinner wasn't too late. 

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2019, 07:08:30 PM »
Didn't really get an after photo, but since everyone likes pictures I got this one st least.