Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Short Ribs 2 ways  (Read 426 times)

techdavis

• Smokey Joe
Short Ribs 2 ways
« on: August 11, 2019, 12:31:56 PM »
Beef short ribs, done 2 ways today. Been a busy day. First off, I had some individually cut short ribs, so I covered them in AP rub, put them on for a couple hours of smoke with hickory, and put them in the oven to braise.
Second, I had a 4 bone HUGE chunk, trimmed it and rubbed it like a brisket. Smoked it, wrapped it, and rested it for almost 2 hours. Very nice - budget brisket!
I love the Slow n Sear - it never leaves my kettle.

Coated these in AP rub (salt, pepper and garlic, recipe from Malcolm Reed at How to BBQ Right) overnight in the fridge. I have 3 chunks of hickory under those Royal Oak briquettes. Going to put a couple hours of smoke on them to give them a nice flavor before the braise.

2 hours at 250-275, and the bark is set! Time to get them off the grill and ready for the oven (I need to room for the big guys)

3 cups beef broth, 2 cups red wine, 5 carrots, 1 onion, 3 celery ribs, 5 cloves minced garlic, 6 oz tomato paste, some fresh rosemary and a sprinkle of more AP rub. Time to cover and braise at 250 for a couple hours or so.

Checked at 2 hours, still a bit tough. Half an hour later, probed like soft butter. Separated the veggies and meat from the rest, strained and defatted the broth, and reduced by about half for the best sauce you can imagine. So very rich and wonderful, and the smoke flavor comes through. Winner winner!

Coated this 4 bone rack of short ribs (it's almost 4" thick!) in AP rub, then a low salt, low sugar brisket rub (made my own). Let it hang out a couple hours in the fridge while the individual ribs were on the grill

Moved the coals to one side, cleaned out the ash, and added more coals on top of a chunk of apple and a chunk of hickory. On the smoke at 270, treating them like a brisket. I had too much rosemary in the braised ribs initially, so I took the extra sprig and put it on the coals for a little smoke kick.

An hour and a half in, I'm at 150, and the SnS is holding steady at 270-280. I'm taking a risk and walking the dogs now...

After walking the dogs, I came home to an internal temp of 182 (grill was still at 275), so I pulled them off and wrapped, and added about 2/3 cup of beef broth to the foil pack. It's got a very dry, well-set bark.

After it was on for about one hour wrapped, I was at 203, and it probed like butter everywhere. So I pulled it off, wrapped the package in a towel, then into my cooler for a rest. An hour and 45 minutes later, this is what I unwrapped. It jiggled to the touch, like a good brisket. The bones pulled away with a cut to the membrane (always leave the membrane on for short ribs, or it will fall apart). The end bone completely came loose.

Decent smoke ring. Very nice - not quite a juicy as I hoped (probably should have wrapped before I walked the dogs). Great bark, huge flavor. I sliced it up like brisket and called it good.

This was really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
Re: Short Ribs 2 ways
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 12:59:23 PM »
Wow! Looks awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBH redhead 22”, Smokey joe AU, Q 100, SSP EE code, new 26”
Looking for MBH 26