Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: F**k up  (Read 2741 times)

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
F**k up
« on: August 02, 2019, 03:16:13 PM »
Don't know whether this was already a thread. What was your biggest "misperformance"? Mine was some years ago and needs to be counted as beginners fault [emoji6] Having no instant thermometer back in time, I served undercooked (read: raw) chicken thighs at a family party with more than 40 people. Luckily, nobody was sick afterwards...[emoji3]

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: F**k up
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 03:20:36 PM »
My first experience with match light, yrs ago, lit it and put meat on it immediately, then ate it...we got a tummy ache.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 04:40:06 PM »
I had a similar screw up with chicken legs. Undercooked (raw). This past winter I was tasked with cooking a bunch of chicken legs and I picked up a bag of gfs brand coal that looked like royal oak. It must have been damp because it didn’t want to light and it was barely burning the whole time. I cooked them and hour and a half and thought they looked done but were not. Pretty embarrassing when your known as the grill master at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 06:01:43 PM »
Rotisserie meatloaf.............................

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 10:16:39 PM »
[emoji23][emoji23]

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 06:35:25 AM »
Went to sear some thick cut pork chops , ran in to grab the pan.... kids got me distracted for a minute . Then realizing the chops were over the flame I ran out to 5 foot flames coming out.  Those chops were hockey pucks ....

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 07:00:29 AM »
I’ve had several mishaps before the age of internet. My pulled pork used to be tough chunks instead of pull apart tender. Chicken breasts either under cooked or dry. Steaks never cooked right. Spare ribs fatty and tough. Grilled fish that more of it was stuck to the grate then was eaten, many burnt burgers and dogs. Those were trying times in my early twenties. Still always had a beer in hand and enjoyed the learning curve. Mickeys big mouths was my drink of choice then.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 12:15:22 PM »
I’ve had several mishaps before the age of internet. My pulled pork used to be tough chunks instead of pull apart tender. Chicken breasts either under cooked or dry. Steaks never cooked right. Spare ribs fatty and tough. Grilled fish that more of it was stuck to the grate then was eaten, many burnt burgers and dogs. Those were trying times in my early twenties. Still always had a beer in hand and enjoyed the learning curve. Mickeys big mouths was my drink of choice then.

My learning curve was nearly the same...Except for the Mickey's...

meat_feet

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 05:42:25 PM »
I once bought a gas grill...

Sent from my GM1915 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 05:49:13 AM »
I have a few.   

I learned that county style ribs are not really ribs the hard way. 

Most of my egregious errors have been fixed with and an instant read thermometer. 

The day I grasped a two zone fire, many a meal was saved. 

Gave away my first kettle to my brother-in-law when I got my first genesis in 2003.   I was redeemed in 2018 when I was able to get that same kettle back from him.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 06:53:42 AM »

That is so insanely funny!  My wife and I had the best laugh we had in awhile!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Smoke5

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2019, 07:06:59 AM »
The biggest help for me was weber's igrill app and their cooking app. Learning a two zone fire was helpful too.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2019, 07:08:24 AM »

That is so insanely funny!  My wife and I had the best laugh we had in awhile!

I got pics...........
It aint pretty.

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 07:41:53 AM »
Back in June I tried paella on the grill for the first time but I didn’t have a pan large enough so I tried two pans instead. Completely under estimated how much oil I put in between the two pans and it all came out as an oily mess. Tasty but I had to strain the oil off the top. Luckily I was only cooking for a good friend and my wife. My wife wouldn’t touch it but me and my buddy went along and ate it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 08:30:17 AM »
I've had a few undercooked/barely cooked meals from finishing off a bag of charcoal without starting a new one and being short on fuel for the duration of the cook.  The real screwups have been with the WSM though.

On one occasion, I had ribs cooking in the WSM and it was after dark so I had a clamp lamp attached to the fence shining down on it with a good, old fashioned, energy wasting, politically incorrect General Electric 100 watt incandescent bulb in it.  I had a friend visiting from out of town and we were putting sauce on the ribs when it started to rain and the rain was coming down in big, huge drops.  The thermal shock of the rain landing on that hot lightbulb shattered the glass and it exploded and rained glass down onto the ribs.  We ended up brushing the glass off and re-saucing the ribs and we got all that pretty much finished when the light went out.  Both of us were surprised how long that bulb's filament hung in making light while it was exposed to air before it finally burnt open.  To date, I've never had a GE rough service bulb burn out, just a couple of breakage victims.  I'd keep buying them if they were still available.

Another time, the WSM was going full bore with a load of ribs and they were taking a long time.  The water level in the pan was getting lower than I'd like so I opened the side door and tried to fill it using the garden hose instead of a water jug.  The idea was to use the valve on the nozzle to fill at a reasonable rate but it was a bit touchy and went from off to full on with very little movement and it opened with a vengeance.  The water pan filled and it sloshed everywhere and snuffed out a good portion of the fire.  Rescuing those ribs took some doing with vents wide open, hurridly lighting some lump charcoal and tossing that in, and waiting even longer for the ribs to finish up.