Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What size grill do I need (how many burners) to run a constant 900 degrees?  (Read 4326 times)

dogman

• WKC Brave
Is this reasonable. I need to get to 900 degrees and be able to hold it there for a few hours without burning up the grill. I have no idea if it's possible.
Beer! It's what's for dinner...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Your such a tease. What are you making?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

dogman

• WKC Brave
Well actually I want to heat some steel and cast iron utensils to burn off the factory seasoning and I don't have an easy way to do it. I haven't checked what kind of temps I can get with lump in my kettle and it will be a while until I can. I figured if there is a gasser that can do it maybe it would be an excuse to get one. Cooking on coal in this heat is probably not a great idea...it's been around 95 degrees lately. Everybody has all their windows open in my barbecue-inhibiting location. It would probably create some unwanted tension and attention.

dogman

• WKC Brave
I see some comments around the web that 600 degrees is about as much as you can get.

I wonder if filling a dutch oven with lump would work or whether there would not be enough air and the coal at the bottom wouldn't burn. Any experiences?

Hofy

• WKC Brave
It is better and easier to use electrolysis to clean up cast iron and carbon steel.  No chance of the high heat warping the steel this way.
BTW, the highest temps you are going to get with LP is around 650 deg.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

dogman

• WKC Brave
I thought electrolysis could only be used to add or remove metal?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
I made a lye bath. Cheap easy works perfect. Followed by a vinegar bath.  I cleaned ten pieces with the same bath.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/how-to-restore-vintage-cast-iron-cookware.html

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
+1 for electrolysis. Might have to try the lye method though...

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/08/22/camp-oven-restored-using-electrolysis/
Retired

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
Well actually I want to heat some steel and cast iron utensils to burn off the factory seasoning

Nothing was said about rust.
Lodge's coating comes off with a Brillo pad.

Since you are in Europe I'm assuming were not talking Lodge.

Here is an article about removing factory seasoning.

https://bit.ly/3318GvC

Walchit

• WKC Performer
My genesis has 600 on the thermometer, and it will wrap down past that and get back towards the 100. Idk how accurate that is though.

dogman

• WKC Brave
Thanks guys for the links. I'll probably try to bury stuff in lump inside the kettle and hope it doesn't melt and burn through the concrete patio...

dogman

• WKC Brave
My genesis has 600 on the thermometer, and it will wrap down past that and get back towards the 100. Idk how accurate that is though.

If it wraps around twice I guess you should be able to get to 1400 ;)

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
Plus one on the lye bath with vinegar to follow. I warped a cat iron piece once in a hot fire trying to burn off... Never again

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Hofy

• WKC Brave
My electrolysis setup and examples.

EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Place it in you kitchen oven if you have one with “self cleaning” setting! That works! And your oven is clean at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club