Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Any way to determine SJ age by box?  (Read 423 times)

WeberKell11

• WKC Brave
Any way to determine SJ age by box?
« on: July 25, 2019, 04:41:06 PM »
Was wondering if there is a way to identify an approximate year range of a SJ based on the box?  The person hasn't opened the box and want to make sure it's worth the drive.  Thanks in advance for the input!

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
Re: Any way to determine SJ age by box?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 06:07:35 PM »
Ask the seller to take more pics, mine had 1988 on the box and that's what year the grill is. Maybe a coincidence idk. I gave $10 NIB for it.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 08:37:42 PM »
Sometimes you get lucky and the age is printed on the box where you can see it in a photo.  However, if you can't see it in the picture that is posted you play a risky game asking them to look sometimes.  Based on the SJ History page and the Age guide I am going to guess that it is somewhere between mid 80s to 90s.  If you can get a better look at it and the legs are round bar then it is mid 80s to 1990.  If the legs are flat metal then it is probably a 90s kettle as around 2000 they started using plastic handles. 

http://weberkettleclub.com/grills/weber-smokey-joe-history/

http://weberkettleclub.com/determine-age-of-old-grill/

The SJs seemeasier to find in box because I figure that a lot of people got them as gifts/prizes and never used them.  Or if they did use them, they put them back in the box to store in the off season.  If you ever see any of the colored kettles or something older NIB for a decent price don't ask questions or think about it.  Just buy it or another kettle head will be grinning from ear to ear rather than you. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

WeberKell11

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 01:10:05 AM »
Thank you both for the helpful insight.  I'll ask for more pictures and see what come of it.  They want 20 bucks and I was thinking I'd offer 10 and make the drive with or without a better age determination.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 04:09:00 AM »
Thank you both for the helpful insight.  I'll ask for more pictures and see what come of it.  They want 20 bucks and I was thinking I'd offer 10 and make the drive with or without a better age determination.

I think anywhere in that price range would be fair at the moment as the black SJs aren't as hard to find.  In all honesty though if I was gonna pick one up and the difference was only $10 I would probably pay it for NIB.  If its use then an extra $10 is probably worth me not having to scrape it, clean it, derust it, and etc.
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

WeberKell11

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 04:37:32 AM »
I think anywhere in that price range would be fair at the moment as the black SJs aren't as hard to find.  In all honesty though if I was gonna pick one up and the difference was only $10 I would probably pay it for NIB.  If its use then an extra $10 is probably worth me not having to scrape it, clean it, derust it, and etc.

Fair enough let's hope its on the older end of the range....thanks again for help!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 04:51:00 AM by WeberKell11 »