Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New to me weber performer  (Read 1302 times)

hemi_charger

• Smokey Joe
Re: New to me weber performer
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2019, 06:21:47 AM »
You can see there is some rust on the bowl. I think it got super hot there at part of the table is melted. Should I Acuff the rust down and respray with BBQ paint? The replacement igniter kit comes with a new gas tube. Not sure I can save the current one

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2019, 08:34:02 AM »
I am doing something similar with mine.  As for the bowl you can try to remove as much rust as you can with steel wool and as long as it isn't rusted through you should be in ok shape.  With it being black you could use high heat black paint.  As for the gas tube I would try to disassemble it from the frame and clean it up the best you can.  The regulator on mine showed no signs of rust because of the material.  The bracket on the kettle I would carefully remove with a grinder if the bolts won't come off easily.  If you don't care about the bowl, you might do this from the inside of the grill, but if you are trying to save it it is better to get some grind marks on the bracket rather than the kettle.  You can try to use a wire brush on the bracket to get a good portion of the rust off and use a rust removal chemical like evaporust or a home brew to clean it up.  I will try to PM you some directions another member forwarded to me. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2019, 04:56:23 AM »
I just got a blue gen 2, its the most worn out kettle I think I've ever seen. The burner tube was salvageable, but the sweeps dont appear to be stainless to me, or if they are they had so much rust fall on them that they rusted out.

And I did nick the bowl of my ssp while grinding off the nut for the lid bale. It will season though.

A lot of people recommend not touching up the paint, you can just put cpoking oil on it while your cooking and it should season like cast iron. I painted the edge of the lid on my first kettle a few months ago and it already looks faded. You can't match the gloss of the porcelain, so your touch ups are gonna stand out either way.

A big ol butcher block top would sure look nice on there, Idk how heavy of a top you can put on one before it becomes unstable though.

Whatever you do to it, post pics!

hemi_charger

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2019, 02:13:29 PM »
Parts have arrived for the performer and I'm at work doh! Also picked up a gas genesis yesterday for 60 in amazing shape. Want to just restain the wood.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 02:15:04 PM by hemi_charger »

hemi_charger

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2019, 06:58:02 PM »
Hopefully I can start this weekend

hemi_charger

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2019, 07:03:28 PM »
Forgot one pic

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2019, 05:38:20 AM »
Keep updating, I'm loving following this build.
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B