Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Best Thermometers?  (Read 5909 times)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
Re: Best Thermometers?
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2017, 02:54:12 AM »
I find myself using maverick much less these days n use theemapen....

Maverick is more novel...

Thermapen is when you get your snokes under your belt and want less setup time.....

It adds 5 mins to oull out that maverick....power /sync the units .run wired lrobes etc
Grills

Skinsfan1311

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2017, 06:42:53 AM »
I have 7  thermometers, so far, Mavericks, Smoke, Centech, etc.

The one's that I use the most, are the Smoke and the Thermapen.    I use the Thermopop at tailgates   

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 06:50:52 AM by Skinsfan1311 »
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2017, 07:08:51 AM »
Own a Super-Fast Thermapen(old model),ThermoPop, Chef Alarm and Instant Read Thermometers all from Thermoworks.Com which are all great products.  I also have a Maverick ET-733 which is also a great product and just gave-away my Maverick ET-732 which served me well for many past years. 

My go-to when firing-up my "Weber Mastertouch 22" Grill" is the Thermoworks Instant Read(RT301WA-11) which takes the temperature almost instantly and when I fire-up my WSM 18" "Classic" I use the Maverick ET-733.

Also, in one of my orders Thermoworks gave me a free Long Red-Color Silicon Spatula and I am greatly impressed.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 07:29:20 AM by tibas92017 »

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2019, 07:52:51 AM »
These are the thermometers I use.

1) Any that happen to be in the lid of the grill, like the Weber on my red mist ssp or the Weber one on a WSM

2) I have an analog (non-electrical dial-type) that I SOMETIMES sit on the grate that I'll glance at whenever I decide to take a peak at how things are looking.  I bought it new in it's original package at a thrift store.

3) I have a couple of analog meat thermometers (probes), that are also non-electrical dial-type, that I use to check if it is up to temperature.

BORING EXPANATION BIT->While I've never worked in the toy industry, I did some work for people who had been in the toy industry & it was really interesting to see stuff from the 50's-70's when many more Americans had more disposable income then previously.  An industry term they used was "PLAY FACTOR".  I ran across a boatload of documentation where ideas were pitched basically bragging about how a certain toy would have an increased "play factor".<-END OF BORING EXPLANATION BIT

I used these thermometers because I'm a bit old school but do want to make sure everything is cooked to an appropriate temperature.  Also, I just happen to think that half the fun is peaking at whatever you are cooking to get a really nice whiff along with seeing how beautiful it is looking so far.  Basically, I think the newer fancy ones have a lower "play factor" and would tend to decrease the fun I have cooking outside. 

NOW GET OFF YOUR BASEBALL OFF MY LAWN!
regards,
Hal

socal-griller

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2019, 11:51:57 PM »
Thermapen MK4 and Smoke here. Replaced the bent probe of the Smoke with a straight probe.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Best Thermometers?
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2019, 02:12:32 PM »
Anything from thermoworks.com is going to be the best quality. I own about 10 of their products and they are great.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 09:45:22 PM by Rub »
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2019, 07:00:09 PM »
Anything from thermoworks.com is going to best the best quality. I own about 10 of their products and they are great.
Rub, I have a bunch of old Thermoworks  products; Dots, Thermopop, Chef Alarm, Etc. And they never let me down.
I just haven't pulled the trigger on a Smoke or a Thermopen, even though I want to!
The probes from my Chef Alarm and Dots will interchange with the Smoke...it was 109° here today... Would be nice to sit inside more...
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2019, 09:48:38 PM »

Rub, I have a bunch of old Thermoworks  products; Dots, Thermopop, Chef Alarm, Etc. And they never let me down.
I just haven't pulled the trigger on a Smoke or a Thermopen, even though I want to!
The probes from my Chef Alarm and Dots will interchange with the Smoke...it was 109° here today... Would be nice to sit inside more...
[/quote]
Man I’d have to pull the trigger on the smoke with temps like that. I’ve not used one but I’m sure the quality is like all of their other products.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

techdavis

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2019, 02:55:56 AM »
I was going to get the Smoke, but ended up getting the Maverick XR-50 for a couple of reasons. The Maverick has 4 sensors and probes, vs the Smoke at 2. Which means I can probe 3 pieces of meat and the grill temp. That’s not a huge deal, but certainly nice, and I’ve used 3 at a time already in the 2 weeks I’ve had it.

More importantly is the range. The Maverick is a 500’ range. For most people this is not a big deal, but here in Germany the houses are built if foot thick plus concrete or stone (my house is over 130 years old), and the wireless signals just die going through these walls. The long range of the Maverick means I can use the monitor in the house, anywhere in the house, and still monitor my cook. That was the real deciding factor - that and the Father’s Day sale.

So far, no regrets. And since Maverick was the #1 before the Smoke, I am confident it will hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

crizpynutz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2019, 07:47:42 AM »
Looking at ordering a wireless thermometer soon.  I see a bunch of Mavericks, but I was wondering about the ThermoPro TP20 as it is almost 1/2 the price.  I have no experience using any of these.  Taking suggestions, opinions and thoughts/warnings.  Appreciate any info I can get.  I'm not worried - for now - about more than 2 probes (1 for meat, 1 for grill temp).

Amazon Link:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GE77QT0/?coliid=IGSGFQ1KGL0T3&colid=3MUOBJLLRVILK&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it