Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2 briskets in 26" Weber Kettle W/ SNS and Upper Deck?  (Read 798 times)

Slow-Cal BBQ

• Happy Cooker
2 briskets in 26" Weber Kettle W/ SNS and Upper Deck?
« on: June 14, 2019, 09:09:04 AM »
Hello, asking all 26" Weber Kettle owners if they have ever cooked two briskets at once using the Slow N' Sear and an upper deck grilling surface. I'm going to do two briskets for fathers day and was curious about how the temp or cooking time would be changed. Also I want to get an idea of how much temp difference will be between the upper deck and the regular grilling grate.

Thanks guys!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: 2 briskets in 26" Weber Kettle W/ SNS and Upper Deck?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 09:20:45 AM »
I think you can get both on the cook grate I have, if not you may have about 40 to 50 degree higher temp up top, you could rotate top and bottom to even out cook time
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Slow-Cal BBQ

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 08:23:56 AM »
I'll start by saying, in the end, I had 2 tender briskets with good bark and everyone loved them. I ran into 2 problems. 1) the lower brisket under the upper deck had a difficult time forming a bark. I switched them, then the one I moved to the bottom had a hard time getting more bark. 2). After I wrapped them with paper, they were too big and did not allow hot air to get between them. This caused the internal meat temp to climb VERY slowly, too slow. Eventually I moved one brisket to an oven and finished the other in the smoker. It was also my first time using paper instead of foil. Despite the high likelihood of inferior bark, the outside was crispy! Paper makes a huge difference compared to foil. The paper also allowed the bark to better form AFTER it was wrapped. Lesson learned: I love the texture paper gives the bark compared to foil! In a crunch, it is possible to cook 2 brisket in a Weber kettle 26". If I can help it, I'll never cook 2 at one time in a Weber kettle. Both briskets were about 14-15 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 12:17:56 PM »
Looks awesome despite the challenges.  You’re guests probably never noticed a difference.  I switched to butcher paper a year ago and have not used foil since.  Pork butts are good with paper too.  Beautiful looking and more flavorful bark.  Better smoke flavor. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crizpynutz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 07:55:06 AM »
The end result was a good one at least!!  Live and learn amirite!?