Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Stainless Steel and Other Metals for Fabrication  (Read 1876 times)

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Stainless Steel and Other Metals for Fabrication
« on: June 21, 2019, 04:15:41 AM »
Where does everyone get their stainless steel and other sheet metal for fabrication?

I have had a hard time sourcing some and/or finding a good price.  I recently purchased a stainless rod from gamut.com and would recommend it so long as shipping goes well. They only seem to have perforated sheets in larger sizes though.  They seemed fair on the price and shipping at least on the rods from what I could find.

The only reason I ask is because I would like to eventually some heavy duty baskets and a tray for my Ranch and everything I have seen for it is custom made.  I know Slow N' Sear recommends their 2 XL's for the ranch, but I have a hard time paying $320 for something that isn't even made exactly for the Ranch.  I think that with the material cost and their time it is a fair price, but just more than what I am willing to do right now for a kettle I am probably going to use 2 to 6 times a year.
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
Re: Stainless Steel and Other Metals for Fabrication
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 06:12:28 AM »
I would contact local fabrication companies and see if they'd sell you the raw materials you're after.

once I get my 18" and wish to mod it, I'm going to go to the guys just around the corner and see how much they'd charge me for a couple of things:
- a ring  riser with a door for pizza
- a ring that I can stack on the pizza ring for a hanging smoker
- a heat deflector plate
Power Corrupts, But Absolute Power Is Kinda Cool!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 06:46:57 AM »
You're going to find that the price of 304 stainless has increased considerably in the past few years. Once you factor in materials and fabrication costs (if you aren't an experienced fabricator), you might be wise to get the two XL's with free shipping from ABC and call it a day.

Call a local fabricator and see if they will make you one of their old RKE SNS's. I'll bet you if you show them a picture and give them the specs it will be every bit of $350 if not more just for the basket (not including a custom drip pan).

This might be a blessing in disguise though. You could get two XL's from ABC with free shipping and fab a rectangular drip pan/griddle locally. Use them like large charcoal baskets on each side of the bowl for a large indirect zone in the middle.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 07:18:44 AM »
I can say from experience that the xl works well in the Ranch, and well worth the price, I will be adding a second one to the arsenal soon. metalsupermarkets.com are all over the country for your metal needs
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 07:32:43 AM »
You're going to find that the price of 304 stainless has increased considerably in the past few years. Once you factor in materials and fabrication costs (if you aren't an experienced fabricator), you might be wise to get the two XL's with free shipping from ABC and call it a day.

Call a local fabricator and see if they will make you one of their old RKE SNS's. I'll bet you if you show them a picture and give them the specs it will be every bit of $350 if not more just for the basket (not including a custom drip pan).

This might be a blessing in disguise though. You could get two XL's from ABC with free shipping and fab a rectangular drip pan/griddle locally. Use them like large charcoal baskets on each side of the bowl for a large indirect zone in the middle.
I believe the ABC is more than fair on their price and I will likely buy one if and when I get a 26.  They just look super clean and fit like a glove.  I agree that stainless has gotten pricey and I think it is hard to find at a good price.

I am not an experience metal fabricator, but I am an experienced tinkerer.  My father in law is an experienced welder and has a machine shop for his farm equipment.  I am also wanting him to teach me how to weld so it is a two birds with one stone kinda situation.  I have just seen some awesome mods on here and would love to replicate them or make my own touches on them but know for a fact that having to hire labor for it just doesn't make it feasable.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Stainless Steel and Other Metals for Fabrication
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 09:55:19 AM »
They are readily available at your local metal stores but they can be very pricey.  I've checked a few different stores and the prices are  very consistent.
I recently picked up some 14 gauge 304 ss to make a diffuser and it cost $19 sq/ft.
A 20"x20" sheet ended up costing $50.

Below are 10 gauge perforated 304 ss at $24 sq/ft.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 07:42:40 PM by Jules V. »

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 07:41:26 PM »
They are readily at your local metal stores but they can be very pricey.  I've checked a few different stores and the prices are  very consistent.
I recently picked up some 14 gauge 304 ss to make a diffuser and it cost $19 sq/ft.

Jules V. you are one of the mad scientists around here that makes me want to get into fabrication more.  Thanks for making posts and sharing.

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 08:29:59 AM »
They are readily at your local metal stores but they can be very pricey.  I've checked a few different stores and the prices are  very consistent.

Jules V. you are one of the mad scientists around here that makes me want to get into fabrication more.  Thanks for making posts and sharing.

Agree. Jules V. does beautiful work and it looks ingenious.
Beer! It's what's for dinner...

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 11:32:27 AM »
I'm curious, what are the preforrated rings for?

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 12:41:32 PM »
I think for airflow. It keeps the coals on the outside so you can cook indirect in the middle, but the holes make sure the coals get enough air to keep burning.
Beer! It's what's for dinner...

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 08:07:29 AM »
oooh!!! so they are a reverse slow n sear. I get it!

I was thinking they were rings for lifting the hood, which confused me as that would leak all the heat out. HEH!

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 12:17:06 PM »
I think for airflow. It keeps the coals on the outside so you can cook indirect in the middle, but the holes make sure the coals get enough air to keep burning.
I'm curious, what are the preforrated rings for?
Those are nothing but a charcoal baskets with multiple personalities.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 06:11:54 PM »
Are those all no weld baskets? How hard were they to bend into shape? How did you cut them? They look awesome.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 06:16:02 PM by ReanimatedRobot »

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 06:59:54 PM »
Are those all no weld baskets? How hard were they to bend into shape? How did you cut them? They look awesome.
Very simple to fabricate with just an angle grinder, wrench and a drill. Cut it to size, bend it to shape and bolt it together. Don't even need to drill holes as the holes are already there.