Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is this ok to ask?? What are your best search tips?  (Read 5647 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Re: Is this ok to ask?? What are your best search tips?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 01:19:39 PM »
Great point, East.   When I see a grill at an estate sale-- or even when I've missed one-- I head to the kitchen to look around.  Anyone who keeps a grill will often have all kinds of cool accessories and tools *somewhere* (check the garage or shed, too).  Once I had them slap a 'sold' sign on my Performer, I went into the kitchen and scooped up some marinade injectors for like a buck.  And when I was wheeling the grill away, I spotted a Weber chimney starter in a corner and talked the guy into letting me have it for free. 

The other thing I love about estate sales is the 'passing of the baton' nature of the transaction.  I know a lot of us use the term 'rescue' for the kettles we rehab, and I certainly feel that at estate sales.  Some person carefully kept this quality Weber stuff for *years*, cooking family meals and etc..  Then it kind of got rusty as they got too old to use it much, until the time came to sell it.  And no one in their family even cared to take the stuff away, so yeah, it feels pretty good to know that you are giving it a good home.  I always like to think the former owner and I are kind of like partners.  But I'm a little crazy that way. 

And yeah, I use an estate sale web service for email updates.  The one I use in DC allows me to include search terms to alert me to grills, weber, etc..
One of the charcoal people.

etruax

• WKC Brave

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 09:05:47 PM »
I use a craigslist notifier app on my phone.

The search parameters are:

(weber | webber | charcoal) (grill | smoker | smokey | smoky | kettle | performer | bbq | barbecue | bar-b-q | bar-b-kettle | cooker)

chriscw81

• WKC Brave
Re: Re: Is this ok to ask?? What are your best search tips?
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 01:07:27 AM »
Great point, East.   When I see a grill at an estate sale-- or even when I've missed one-- I head to the kitchen to look around.  Anyone who keeps a grill will often have all kinds of cool accessories and tools *somewhere* (check the garage or shed, too).  Once I had them slap a 'sold' sign on my Performer, I went into the kitchen and scooped up some marinade injectors for like a buck.  And when I was wheeling the grill away, I spotted a Weber chimney starter in a corner and talked the guy into letting me have it for free. 

The other thing I love about estate sales is the 'passing of the baton' nature of the transaction.  I know a lot of us use the term 'rescue' for the kettles we rehab, and I certainly feel that at estate sales.  Some person carefully kept this quality Weber stuff for *years*, cooking family meals and etc..  Then it kind of got rusty as they got too old to use it much, until the time came to sell it.  And no one in their family even cared to take the stuff away, so yeah, it feels pretty good to know that you are giving it a good home.  I always like to think the former owner and I are kind of like partners.  But I'm a little crazy that way. 

And yeah, I use an estate sale web service for email updates.  The one I use in DC allows me to include search terms to alert me to grills, weber, etc..

Mind sharing which site you use? :-)

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 07:22:05 AM »
LOL, Chris.  The competition in NoVA is heating up with Big-Timer Bman stockpiling Webers for the apocalypse.  But I don't mind sharing... much.  ;-)

EstateSales.org has a nifty email option that sends you updates several times a week.  And you can specify some search terms.  But you gotta read carefully, since some of the 'estate sales' are actually at resale shops rather than true sales of an entire household of goods. 

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 07:30:02 AM »
The competition in NoVA is heating up with Big-Timer Bman stockpiling Webers for the apocalypse.

LMFAO!!! 

I've only picked up 1 regular black kettle that was suppose to be a 26er.  And 1 blue performer.  And a Joe.  The rest have been freebie gassers. 
See, I'm not much competition...
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 07:30:50 AM »

Which one?
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

chriscw81

• WKC Brave
Re: Re: Is this ok to ask?? What are your best search tips?
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 08:35:27 AM »

Which one?

I have craigslist+ but I really don't like it.  The notifications seem like they are sometimes slow, and the results it gives you can't be sorted buy date, location, etc.  Your phone will also blow up with posts you don't care about.  It's worth trying but I stopped using it.  If you use rss feeds you can also set up an rss feed for a certain search.  Great! Now I just armed my competition with another weapon! ;)

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 09:12:41 AM »
I have a very dumb phone, so you don't need to worry about me.  Just a low-tech redneck. 

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 10:10:21 AM »
While I have a smartphone, I'm simply too dumb to use it for all it's worth.  I'll play with it though and set up a notification. 
But if I come across a Red SS Performer, I'll give Mike a chance on it.   Slim chance & fat chance,,, but still a chance...  :D

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 07:24:34 PM »
 :)

rauyeu2

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 01:58:36 AM »
This website allows you to look through craigslist and other classified sites through one search. It also allows you to set how many miles to search for frmo your location

http://claz.org/

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 06:42:58 AM »
Looks like a handy site but claz doesn't search Craigslist anymore.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch