Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Jumbo Joe Accessories Query  (Read 788 times)

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
Jumbo Joe Accessories Query
« on: May 12, 2019, 03:39:55 PM »
due to a tight budget I have to go with the Jumbo Joe to get myself into the kettle grill club, but I'm wondering about the availability of accessories and upgrades.

I've found a slow n sear built just for the 18" kettle grills, but wonder if there is a tornado vortex and cast iron replacement grill options for the smaller size.

there is only a $30 difference between the Jumbo Joe and the 18" Kettle Grill, and wonder if there's any reason to choose it over the Jumbo Joe? I like the fact that the Jumbo Joe has the ash tray so much closer to the bottom of the kettle than the model with legs. I have a really sturdy desk table made out of a 2x4 and 1" plywood that the Jumbo is slated to sit on, which also gives me workspace beside it, but perhaps I'm not seeing an advantage to the legged model over the portable Jumbo Joe.

thank you for sharing your wisdom!
Power Corrupts, But Absolute Power Is Kinda Cool!

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Jumbo Joe Accessories Query
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 04:01:11 PM »
If the Jumbo Joe works better for your situation, go for it.  The legged kettles just allow you to cook without bending way over.  Cast iron grates are available for the 18.  I have a Craycort.  Check Amazon.  You might save a few bucks going with this grill from a fellow member.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/member-sales-trades/new-jumbo-joe-for-sale/
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 04:14:35 PM by Grillagin »

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 04:16:34 PM »
Then again, maybe not, seeing as you are in Canada.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 04:22:17 PM »
The Vortex mini is built to fit the Jumbo Joe.
The Slow and Sear Charcoal Basket fits 18" kettles and the Jumbo Joe.
Both are great cookers without accessories. whichever one you decide on can be dressed up as much as you want.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 04:27:03 PM »
thanks Ga and jc, I appreciate the direction...does everything I need. woot! :) 

edit - does the forum have any way to give kudos to posters? I'm not seeing anything, but could just be suffering from male pattern blindness... :P

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 05:05:09 PM »
thanks Ga and jc, I appreciate the direction...does everything I need. woot! :) 

edit - does the forum have any way to give kudos to posters? I'm not seeing anything, but could just be suffering from male pattern blindness... :P

There used to be a "thank you" icon in the post near the "modify" one that you could click and a thank you would be shown in the thanked post.  Not sure what happened to it.

Erictag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 05:14:10 PM »
If you have any interest in Jumbo Joes, you have to check out Old Daves Po-Farm blog.   I don’t have a link, but google it, and enjoy Daves wisdom.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

wgjones3

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 06:11:56 PM »
I have a Jumbo Joe and the Weber CharBaskets. The Jumbo Joe lid bale is fantastic, and I have a bad back, so sitting it on a table gives me great height to grill from.

In my opinion, CharBaskets are a must-have for the Jumbo Joe. Two CharBaskets together in the middle are great for searing steak. One CharBasket does great for indirect heat for things like fish. I’m also pretty sure I use less coal with the CharBaskets than I do when I cook in my 14” Smokey Joe.

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 06:15:50 PM »
found Old Dave's blog: http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/search/label/Weber%20Kettle

and in that, found a Jumbo Joe fan site...alas, it's out of date and a lot of links are dead: https://www.weberjumbojoe.com/
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 06:55:56 PM by Marzipan »

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 12:11:36 AM »

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 01:15:30 AM »
I totally love my JJ!
In my collection of cookers... JJ sees a LOT of cooks! You don’t NEED a vortex in the JJ because of the shorter height of the kettle bottom you can use the S’nS charcoal basket (or Weber) to make super hot cooks!
Another plus point... if it’s starting to rain in the middle of your cook... put the lid on and lock the bail and you can easily move the kettle as it is running.
It’s also a super size to take on vacation!
Another Super Plus... due to the shallow kettle size there is LESS air space in the kettle so when you close all the vents to shut it down... it goes out Very FAST and saves your coals for the next cook!
Oh... and because of the small size it uses LESS coals to get hotter [emoji91] than a full size 18” grill ! So it’s cheaper on coals and HOTTER!
Don’t even get me started on how much better chicken on a rotisserie is from the JJ... because the coals are closer to the bird the skin comes out so much better! I have cooked everything from Pulled Pork to Hot & Fast Ribs in my JJ.
Worth every penny from the begin and worth even more after a few upgrades like the charcoal basket, 18” rotisserie kit and maybe a hinged (flipper) cooking grate. (SS if you can get one)
The only other change I have done to mine is all SS nuts bolts and washers just to finish it off nice.  I also swapped out the lid for one with a factory thermometer ... just because it looks cool [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club