Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tri tip fajitas  (Read 625 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Tri tip fajitas
« on: April 23, 2019, 05:18:09 PM »
This cut isn’t that common around here but I have found it at sams once in awhile.

Tonight I cooked a tri tip that I got from a local butcher that uses local meat.

It was incredible. Some of the most tender beef I’ve ever cooked. Even my wife commented how tender and flavorful it was. It must be the freshness or maybe I just got lucky.

I didn’t reverse sear and I didnt sear first. I did what I would call a modified reverse sear.

I seasoned the meat and cooked it indirect at medium heat for 30 minutes or so. It was a 6 lb cut of beef. Internal was 80ish before the sear. Then I placed it indirect high heat until an internal of 130. It was cooked perfectly. The problem with sear first is it’s tough to get a great sear on a completely cold piece of meat and the texture isn’t as good as reverse sear. The problem with reverse sear is trying to guess when to start searing. Too soon and it’s too rare. Too late and it’s over cooked. Searing once the meat is warmed then going indirect allows for more precision.

Pictures don’t do it justice. It was really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 05:33:12 PM by HoosierKettle »

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Tri tip fajitas
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 06:00:58 PM »
Beautiful!   Looks awesome.   The Moody Meat shop in Avon has Tri Tip.  I’ll have to get some now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

griz400

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 01:57:36 AM »
very nice ....love some fajitas ...

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 04:36:44 AM »
That looks awesome to me
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 05:22:26 PM »
While that don't look like any Tri Tip I ever cooked, I looks great!
Love your thought process on the sear in the middle of the cook...I will be trying that soon...
Must have been some great fajitas...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 03:17:14 AM »

While that don't look like any Tri Tip I ever cooked

Yeah I agree.  I get it at a local slaughter / butcher shop near me and they don’t have a meat counter. They go back to the freezer and grab your order. It’s wrapped in plastic then butcher paper so you can’t see what your buying until you open it.

This tri tip had a thick fat cap that I trimmed completely off and plenty of silver skin. It could have been my hack job that made not look like tri tip. Not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

mewecht

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 02:55:14 PM »
Nice work!
My brother lived in California for twenty years or so and introduced me to that cut of meat. When done correctly, it’s outstanding.

What is the name of your meat shop? I’ve lived on the southeast side (Franklin Township) for a few years and haven’t really found a real butcher. I did find tri-tip at Market District up on 116th and Illinois, but it’s a fairly expensive store. Very nice, though, with seriously aged beef.

The chimichuri looks amazing, too, btw.

Always Learning.