Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I flat out need some advice and help.  (Read 1452 times)

CurtP

• WKC Brave
Re: I flat out need some advice and help.
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 11:24:51 AM »
You can’t use those until you are good at controlling temps without. It’s state law. Look it up.
Well, crap.  Mine just arrived.  Do I have to get a permit?

kmunz187

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 12:05:01 PM »
OK I don't use a snake in my kettle...
Instead I make a pile of unlit lump on one side and add a few lit coals to the center of the pile...As the fire spreads I adjust the vents accordingly...Add more lump later if needed...
Understand that I am a stickburner at heart and many of my methods on the Weber reflect that fact...I actually love tending the fire and a set it and forget it cooks sounds boring to me...
This ^^^ I scoff at the guys at work when they start talking about the stuff they "smoked" on their traegers

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 03:17:08 PM »
It takes practice and more practice.  Start with the temp low and slowly and I mean slowly work your way up and be patient.  Much easier to bring temp up slow that to bring the temp down which takes a long time.  Every kettle is different in how you set the vents.  Check out this link on how to set up low and slow...

Hope this helps.

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2013/11/05/smoking-on-a-weber-kettle/
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 04:19:05 PM »
Absolutely nothing wrong with gadgets, temp controllers etc., but I agree with the fellas saying that learning fire management of the kettle is a key factor. You only learn it with practice and failures, and always keep your local pizza delivery on speed dial, lol.

For low n slow, let’s say for a rack of ribs, I dump enough unlit coal on one side then place around a dozen lighted on one side. All vents open. Have an oven thermo sitting on your grate where the ribs will be sitting and check it around 15-30 minutes in. Once the temp is getting close to where you want it, start closing down the bowl vents. If you have a one touch system, a pencil width opening is a good start, and if it’s a 3 wheeler, close 2 of the three and leave one open. Give that about 10 minutes and see what the temps are doing. Adjust from there if needed.
Don’t think your temp is going to rise or fall quickly. It will take a little time so be patient and let the kettle settle in.

Practice, practice, practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 05:18:49 PM »

OK I don't use a snake in my kettle...
Instead I make a pile of unlit lump on one side and add a few lit coals to the center of the pile...As the fire spreads I adjust the vents accordingly...Add more lump later if needed...
Understand that I am a stickburner at heart and many of my methods on the Weber reflect that fact...I actually love tending the fire and a set it and forget it cooks sounds boring to me...

We do need to be neighbors. I’m positive I would enjoy operating a stick burner.

I sure you would too...
I'll let you know if any houses in my neighborhood are for sale ;D
Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Rick6212

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 05:17:20 AM »
Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Rick6212

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 05:18:05 AM »
Thanks for the advice. Going to try this method this weekend.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app