Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hunsaker Smokers Stainless Steel WSM Hanging racks  (Read 2757 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Hunsaker Smokers Stainless Steel WSM Hanging racks
« on: March 22, 2019, 04:25:24 AM »
https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/products/stainless-steel-rib-hanger

I ordered one for my current Hunsaker clone drum build I have going. Been using one similar in my 85 gallon drum and love it.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Hunsaker Smokers Stainless Steel WSM Hanging racks
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 04:10:30 PM »
Looks like a grate design.

I wonder what capacity is vs gateway vs Weber vs the x shaped one.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 05:43:46 PM »
Looks like a grate design.

I wonder what capacity is vs gateway vs Weber vs the x shaped one.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

To give an idea, this is my 85 hanger
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 06:03:02 PM »
Any idea how thick the rods are on the Hunsaker?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 07:08:27 PM »
When mine arrives we’ll know

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 10:20:06 AM »
As I read the ad listing, both the small 18.5" and the large 22.5" versions both cost $50 each.  Did I read it correctly?
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 04:40:59 AM »
I’m happy

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 05:18:25 AM »
I'd be happy too!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 05:37:59 PM »
So just from that initial pic inside your WSM, it looks like the three side bar rod ends flare out and rest in the channel where the WSM lid seats (and the bottom ring rests on the tabs). Does the lid close all the way when the rack is in place?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 05:15:43 AM »

So just from that initial pic inside your WSM, it looks like the three side bar rod ends flare out and rest in the channel where the WSM lid seats (and the bottom ring rests on the tabs). Does the lid close all the way when the rack is in place?

Yes it does

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 05:16:14 AM »

Yes it does

D-WADE

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 06:58:38 AM »
How tall is it. I’m wanting one for my 18.5 so I’ve been trying to find the tallest hanger I can find.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 07:02:09 AM »
Darn it. I was not aware of this one when I bought the gateway. It looks like this one hangs higher which would be better imo.

Do you have the vortex plate sitting directly on the wsm ring or do you have the hunsaker basket as well?  How do you get temps higher than 300-325?  I struggle with that. Also, if I added the vortex plate and use the gateway hanger, will I still have room to hang full racks?  I’m dragging the coal almost the way it is.

Lastly, when you hook chicken halves through the breast, do you find them to lose juice?

I know that’s a lot of questions but probably nobody better to ask about hanging.

Hanging ribs straight through no wrap is by far my preferred method currently. Unbelievable flavor and increased capacity for an 18

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 07:07:32 AM by HoosierKettle »

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 04:06:45 AM »
Darn it. I was not aware of this one when I bought the gateway. It looks like this one hangs higher which would be better imo.

Do you have the vortex plate sitting directly on the wsm ring or do you have the hunsaker basket as well?  How do you get temps higher than 300-325?  I struggle with that. Also, if I added the vortex plate and use the gateway hanger, will I still have room to hang full racks?  I’m dragging the coal almost the way it is.

I'm using the Vortex Firebasket. It's a FrankenWSM, in an SSP frame with a Performer bowl and a Happy Cooker internal ash pan to simulate a Hunsaker drum bottom intake. With the one touch open 25% I easily cruise at 275-300, 50% 350+++. I'm a Hot n Fast cooker so its right there. Personally I prefer Drums over the bullet.

Lastly, when you hook chicken halves through the breast, do you find them to lose juice?

No, not at all.

I know that’s a lot of questions but probably nobody better to ask about hanging.

Hanging ribs straight through no wrap is by far my preferred method currently. Unbelievable flavor and increased capacity for an 18

What a lot of people fail to realize that you can invert the hanger and place a pizza pan and have yourself a heat deflector, if you choose to wrap after hanging. If you follow the Gateway (ICP) facebook group you'll see where people hang until they get the color they want then drop the GDS heat deflector in, sauce or wrap and let them roll low

@HoosierKettle Take a look at my Left Hand Smoke FB page, I've got various hangers for my drums and WSM along with both direct and indirect (vortex plates) setups
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 04:09:36 AM by swamprb »