Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lid edge repair question - please help  (Read 1308 times)

neocacher

• Smokey Joe
Lid edge repair question - please help
« on: March 12, 2019, 04:09:23 PM »
What kind of plier is used to reshape the edges of lids to repair dents and shaping along the edge of lids?

A picture of the pliers would be helpful and maybe where to get one?

Stephen

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: Lid edge repair question - please help
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 04:54:02 PM »
Any pliers would likely pop the porcelain.  @HellFireGrill came up with a homemade that works excellent.  Take a 8” chunk of 2”x2” wood.  Put in a vice.  Take a saw & cut a groove about 1/8” wide.  You’ll be able to slide it around (sometimes needs a little wiggle) the lip to reshape ‘er. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 04:56:00 PM »
Haven't done it before but I'm sure trying to straighten it will lead to more chips and cracks on the porcelain/enamel. 

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 10:30:51 AM »
I have done it, and the porcelain will crack more.  Porcelain isn't flexible.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 11:12:57 AM »

I stand the lid on a piece of 2x6, with the bent or dented area resting on the 2x6.  I then use a small hardwood block as a punch. The end of the block is against the bent area and I tap the top the wood block with a hammer.  It slowly works the bent area back to normal.  Yes, this method too will cause some tiny slivers of porcelain to come loose but I have found this method to cause the least amount of porcelain loss.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 04:11:54 PM »
This stick is Oak its approximately 3/4" square. I used a regular old hand saw to cut the groove. The groove should be cut across the grain to keep the wood from splitting. You'll wana cut the groove only a CH deeper than the rim, if you cut the groove to deep its more likely to split the stick. If the saw kerf is to narrow you can use sand paper to make it wider.

Go real slow so you dont move the metal around any more than you have to, the more it moves the the more it loses. Whatever you do, especially on a badly damaged rim, do not try to bend the metal all the way to its original position in one bend....you gota work slow & easy, and go back a couple times and re-bend it til its reached a satisfactory shape. Theres a possibility the metal was stretched, especially if the rim was bent out and not in, when the rim was bent. If thats the case good luck because once its stretched youll never get it to shrink with out heating it red hot and quenching it. 

Theres no way to keep from losing a little porcelain when your straightening the rim.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 04:12:36 PM »
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 07:14:51 AM »

That's what I'd do. It ain't gonna be perfect no matter how you attack, unless you A. Find a better lid, or B. have it professionally restored... $$$
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.