Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Genesis E-310 redo  (Read 877 times)

GeorgeCAtl

• Happy Cooker
Genesis E-310 redo
« on: February 27, 2019, 05:55:15 AM »
Hi all,
I recently joined here because I picked up this gas grill this past weekend for 50 bucks. From 10 feet it looked like a heck of a deal, but as I and the previous owner lifted it into the back of my truck I could feel the bottom crumbing in my hand. The previous owner smiled and said “Oh yeah, it has a little rust in the bottom  ::)
I went on Weber’s site and researched the model and got a schematic of the parts. I dated this unit to 2011.It’s not that old....but has a serious rot problem. I need to replace the bottom panel and rear panel. The side panels which are welded to the square tube frame are structurally sound. When I looked for the replacement panels,I found the best price I could find was $235 for the pair. So much for my great deal :-[. And the real downside of replacing those panels is that it is the same crappy steel that rusted out in the first place.
Planned obsolescence?
That certainly was not the case with Weber Kettles. I have one now that been sitting in my backyard for 22 years and is still going strong.
So, my solution. I have a friend that fabricates out of stainless steel. I took him the two panels and he said he could duplicate from Stainless steel. He hasn’t given me a price yet, but at least this should help solve the longevity issue.
I’ve also disassembled most of the unit and will need to replace the burners, flavorizer bars, heat deflectors and the grates. Based on my research here, i’ve Reached out to RCPlanebuyer to supply all the internals.
What is the consensus on aftermarket burners vs Weber, performance wise?
Wow, I didn’t mean to write a short essay ;D. While I’m waiting on these parts i’ll Get to cleaning, pressure washing and painting. I’ve taken a lot of pics which I’ll upload when I figure out how.
Looking forward to bringing back to good shape......spring is just around the corner.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Genesis E-310 redo
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 05:59:45 AM »
@GeorgeCAtl Let me know the cost when you get it, I may get you to order me those same pieces maybe get a little price break for buying 2 of each. The model you talk about is notorious for rusted out bottoms.

Joe
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

GeorgeCAtl

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 04:57:13 AM »
@GeorgeCAtl Let me know the cost when you get it, I may get you to order me those same pieces maybe get a little price break for buying 2 of each. The model you talk about is notorious for rusted out bottoms.

Joe
Hi Joe
I'll let you know on panel pricing when I hear back
George

GeorgeCAtl

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 06:33:37 AM »
@JEBIV
A little update. I was emailing Dave (RCPlaneBuyer) about flavor bars, heat deflectors and SS Grates. I mentioned the issue with the rotting bottom and rear panel issues. He said he had replaced the same panels on a couple units and said Weber had been pretty accommodating on replacement costs.

I called Weber customer service. They discounted the two replacement panels.....also there is a ten year warranty on the LP burner set. So, I got the two panels, new burners set w/ free shipping all for $108. Thanks to Dave for the heads up.

So, back to cleaning while I wait for all the replacement parts to arrive.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 06:55:30 AM »
@JEBIV
A little update. I was emailing Dave (RCPlaneBuyer) about flavor bars, heat deflectors and SS Grates. I mentioned the issue with the rotting bottom and rear panel issues. He said he had replaced the same panels on a couple units and said Weber had been pretty accommodating on replacement costs.

I called Weber customer service. They discounted the two replacement panels.....also there is a ten year warranty on the LP burner set. So, I got the two panels, new burners set w/ free shipping all for $108. Thanks to Dave for the heads up.

So, back to cleaning while I wait for all the replacement parts to arrive.
Thanks, I have not reached out to Weber, mostly wasn't ready to start the refurb yet, but the weather is starting to get nice besides the rain so I am getting ready
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill