Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A Tale of Two Meats  (Read 1072 times)

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
A Tale of Two Meats
« on: January 20, 2019, 01:09:25 PM »
It’s 45º out, so I should be smoking cheese, right?  I will get around to trying that one of these days.  But today I’m staying a little closer to my wheelhouse.  I was at Sam’s Friday and picked up a 4 lb. chucky and an 8 lb. butt.

So, I got the 26er loaded up KBB in the SnS and some apple chunks.  The chucky got a rub down with Rod Gray’s The Most Powerful Stuff and I hit the butt with some Smokin’ Guns Hot.

The 26er’s running at about 230º and we’re off to the races.

Here we are about an hour into it:

Just started spritzing.  More later . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: A Tale of Two Meats
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 01:20:09 PM »
Looks like your set in for a nice long smoke. Enjoy the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 01:40:33 PM »
That should be good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 07:32:31 PM »
So, as promised, here are the final products:

Pepper Stout Beef (didn’t have a Guinness, so I had to settle for Newcastle):

Pulled pork BBQ:

It never ceases to amaze me how much loss there is when I cook these products.  My chucky started out at 4 lbs. and I ended up with less than 2 lbs., not including the peppers/onions.  I started with an 8 lb. butt and packed up less than 4 lbs.  Just curious, how does this measure up with what you guys are getting?

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 03:54:25 AM »
That looks amazing! I get the same yield, ~50% of the uncooked weight

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
A Tale of Two Meats
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 04:26:38 AM »
Looks great!  I’ve never weighed mine but going by my yield, that sounds about right

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 05:34:51 AM »
Looks great, my yield is about the same
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 05:42:31 AM »
Time to go into a meat coma!  Great cook!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 06:49:27 AM »
You gonna lose meat poundage fer shur... butt, you have all that serious juice from the meat to add back in (if you are catching it), or to make sauces/gravies. Can't be beat.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 09:55:30 AM »
Thanks guys ! ! !  It's just that most of the online serving calculators seem to default to a yield of 70%-75%, I thought I might be just too picky when pulling excess fat out of my final product.

PSB is for dinner tonight.  The pork will go into the deep freeze for later.

You gonna lose meat poundage fer shur... butt, you have all that serious juice from the meat to add back in (if you are catching it), or to make sauces/gravies. Can't be beat.

I did go back and weigh the liquid after it cooled and I removed the fat.  I got 1 lb. 2 oz. each of beef Au Jus and Pork Jelly, so that, at least, get me back to 50%.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 10:03:10 AM »
I always figure on a 50-55% yield. Just the way it works. And the drippin's... ya' gotta save them!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

crizpynutz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 07:21:06 AM »
I always figure on a 50-55% yield. Just the way it works. And the drippin's... ya' gotta save them!

For pulled pork especially after pulling apart I soak it right back in the juices - my family and friends have stopped using BBQ sauce on it saying they think it tastes better just as is....

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 02:21:32 PM »
Yeah, I chilled the drippings overnight and scraped off the fat in the morning which leaves me (what I call) pork jelly.  I put some pork jelly, with the BBQ, in each of the FoodSaver bags before vacuuming them and freezing. 

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
A Tale of Two Meats
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 05:56:48 AM »
I will sometimes run the juice through a fat separator and add a little to the vag bag before freezing.

I think my favorite is to mix a finishing sauce and use it instead. 1 cup cider vinegar, red pepper flakes, brown sugar, black pepper. I’ll mix a little in with the pulled pork. You don’t really notice it but it brightens the flavor of the pork for lack of a better description.

I find the rendered juice has a little bit too intense smoke flavor for my personal liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app