Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SS grate for Chimney  (Read 1294 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
SS grate for Chimney
« on: January 20, 2019, 07:37:26 PM »
Does anyone make a SS grate for a Weber Chimney?  It would be nice to have one for searing.  My 22" is a little large and could topple the chimney easily.

2019-01-20-20.11.44-Medium.jpg" border="0

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Re: SS grate for Chimney
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 07:50:39 PM »
Oops.  Almost ordered this.  Saw this:
grate.jpg" border="0

Time to dig through my Kamado...

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 07:58:06 PM »
Fire up the Smokey Joe!...that is if you have one.  Or, if you have a Weber GBS grate for the 22.5", use the center grate. There's even a center sear grate available for the GBS.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 08:10:57 PM »
I don't have a Smokey Joe, will it get as hot as a chimney?

I do have a Vortex, if I wasn't so lazy, I could use that under my grate.

I do have GBS, or did (not a fan), but also have that CI sear insert kicking around.  I tend to not like the sear marks it makes.  I find that ends up being black burned lines where the CI is before the rest of the surface is nicely seared.

I'm a fan of the SnS cold grate technique.  Maybe I should just use my Vortex under my SnS grate.

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 09:24:58 PM »
I'm sure a Smokey Joe can get as hot as a chimney. If I'm just searin' up 1 (or 2) 1 inch+ thick steaks (NY strips) for myself, I'll use somewhere between 18 and 25 coals of Stubb's or

Weber briquettes for the SJ and 1 lighter cube directly in the SJ to fire up the coals until they ash over. You can always add coals to get a desired higher heat temperature.

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 07:18:54 AM »
another option looks to be from unknowbbq

https://unknownbbq.com/product/chimney-griller/
Looking for Colored 18 MBH

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 10:16:07 AM »
If you already have a vortex and a gbs grate there's really no reason to use the chimney. If you want a cold sear, preheat the charcoal to the temperature that you want then place the sear grate  and put the meat on.

Not really a fan of using the chimney since the grate sits directly above it. Too much smoke is trapped under the meat. It's ok if you prefer a very smoky flavor.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 11:18:44 AM »
Alternative, 

Indirect till about 110 IT Temp.

Then, I put down smaller grate directly on top of Weber charcoal basket for a good sear.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 09:51:21 PM »
another option looks to be from unknowbbq

https://unknownbbq.com/product/chimney-griller/

Thanks.  That's one of the ones I found.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013PU3BA2?tag=viglink21354-20

[/font]If you already have a vortex and a gbs grate there's really no reason to use the chimney. If you want a cold sear, preheat the charcoal to the temperature that you want then place the sear grate  and put the meat on.

Not really a fan of using the chimney since the grate sits directly above it. Too much smoke is trapped under the meat. It's ok if you prefer a very smoky flavor.

It feels like the Vortex and chimney might be similar, and that the chimney is quicker/easier.

Alternative, 

Indirect till about 110 IT Temp.

Then, I put down smaller grate directly on top of Weber charcoal basket for a good sear.

I've used a SnS similarly.  I think a chimney will get hotter.

I go from the fridge direct to the chimney.  By the time the outside is seared, the inside is ready, at least on my 1" thick steaks.  (I don't even need to check the temp; might need to on a 2" steak...)

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 06:14:00 AM »
Mills Grilla will make any size you want. Great quality and communication. I have a hinged grate for my 22 and S&S. Might have him make one for my go anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 07:28:10 AM »
A little off topic, but thanks for leading me to these two, which may be in future . . .

Kettle Brackets and an intersting Kettle Cooktop

Back on topic . . .

I can't remember the last time I cooked just one steak, so I have no experience with cooking over a chimney, that being said, I would probably go with either the Vortex of the SnS.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
SS grate for Chimney
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 07:35:04 AM »
The upside down vortex does a good job. I think it gets as hot as right side up and gives a larger sear area.

Last time I made steak, I used a full chimney of lump and dumped in the 18. No gadgets. I think this might be my favorite method.

Just realized I was off topic. Excuse my blatant thread drift.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 07:36:55 AM by HoosierKettle »