Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tomohawk Ribeye reverse seared using a Slow n Sear  (Read 1449 times)

Cellar2ful

Tomohawk Ribeye reverse seared using a Slow n Sear
« on: December 29, 2018, 12:45:18 PM »

Cooking one of these should be on everyone's bucket list.  Reverse sear is the way to go on these 3" thick beauties.

BTW,I used to be of the mindset that I could achieve the same results of a Slow n Sear , using charcoal baskets.  I can tell you first hand that is not the case.  The SnS design shields the meat while cooking indirect, even without adding water to the trough.

When searing, the SnS acts like a vortex.  This was using only 50 briquettes.  Never have I gotten flames this high using charcoal baskets while searing.  Using the SnS I can only sear meat for maybe 30 seconds per side.  Using charcoal baskets I would sear for a minute or longer.

I experimented this time by pulling the steak when the internal temp reached 125.  Rested it for 10 minutes and internal only reached 131.8 degrees.

The "rib cap" sections were a perfect medium rare but the rest of the meat was a bit rare for my wife and I.  Next time I will go back to pulling the meat at 128 degrees as then it will climb closer to 135 degrees, my preferred finished temp for beef.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: Tomohawk Ribeye reverse seared using a Slow n Sear
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 03:18:28 PM »

Cooking one of these should be on everyone's bucket list.  Reverse sear is the way to go on these 3" thick beauties.

BTW,I used to be of the mindset that I could achieve the same results of a Slow n Sear , using charcoal baskets.  I can tell you first hand that is not the case.  The SnS design shields the meat while cooking indirect, even without adding water to the trough.

When searing, the SnS acts like a vortex.  This was using only 50 briquettes.  Never have I gotten flames this high using charcoal baskets while searing.  Using the SnS I can only sear meat for maybe 30 seconds per side.  Using charcoal baskets I would sear for a minute or longer.

I experimented this time by pulling the steak when the internal temp reached 125.  Rested it for 10 minutes and internal only reached 131.8 degrees.

The "rib cap" sections were a perfect medium rare but the rest of the meat was a bit rare for my wife and I.  Next time I will go back to pulling the meat at 128 degrees as then it will climb closer to 135 degrees, my preferred finished temp for beef.

Looks perfect to me.....I'd eat that all day long.    Nice work!

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

noreaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 06:17:36 PM »
 Last one I did was so thick I reverse seared. Brought it up to temp on a weber kettle running 240 temp. When it hit 118 degrees or so I put it on a hot cast iron pan for minute or so per side. Remove steak.  Brought temp down and put in some butter and garlic  with steak for.  another minute per side

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 12:45:59 PM »
Looks delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Erictag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 03:49:27 PM »
Nice cooking Jim!  Beautiful pictures of your cook- thanks for sharing. 

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club