Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How do you dispose of liquid & drippings from your WSM?  (Read 3771 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
How do you dispose of liquid & drippings from your WSM?
« on: December 27, 2018, 08:23:37 PM »
I was curious what others do with the nasty liquid & drippings left in your liquid pan after using your smoker.

I have a sewer grate right out front by the street, so I usually just dump it down the sewer in the street.  I usually do it after dark, just so people don't see me and wonder what the heck I'm dumping in the sewer.

Around here, it goes to a sewage treatment plant, not straight to river/creek or anything like that. 
regards,
Hal

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Re: How do you dispose of liquid & drippings from your WSM?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 09:48:44 PM »
I'm almost certain the drain in front of your house is a storm drainage and not a part of the sewer (wastewater system) line.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 11:32:13 PM »
   Look up fatberg London sewer system you'll see thats a no no. Go to a construction site and ask for some five gallon buckets and lids, when done throw it in the dumpster.
   I remember reading they would collect used grease for the war effort to make explosives.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 05:21:35 AM »
I'm curious what others do as well. I usually dump the liquid into my ash bucket then that all eventually gets dumped into a bag to be taken out with the trash.

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 05:26:28 AM »

I'm curious what others do as well. I usually dump the liquid into my ash bucket then that all eventually gets dumped into a bag to be taken out with the trash.

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

This is what I do as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 07:18:16 AM »

I agree with Jules.

I'm almost certain the drain in front of your house is a storm drainage and not a part of the sewer (wastewater system) line.

I line my WSM water pan with foil.  Leftover water gets dumped on my lawn or garden, using a paper towel to skim any floating fat drippings.  I wipe the foil with a couple of paper towels and that and any fat gets thrown into my green waste recycle container. Our waste/recycle company requests that all grease gets thrown into the green/yard trimmings container rather than the landfill garbage.   The foil goes into the garbage.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 03:19:55 PM »
Some older cities, like the Chicago area, never had a separate line for storm-water drainage because when they were originally set up, they all went into rivers, lakes, streams, etc.  When they began treating waste, the grates in the streets were already connected up to the same lines, so everything winds up getting treated. 

Most of the sewers in the street in the Chicago area go into the wastewater system & is treated.  In areas where it does not, further away from the city, such as at least parts of Prospect Heights, you will often see either warnings spray painted by the sewer & I've also seen some sewer grates that depict fish & other things in the metal & indicating they go to a stream.  Where I'm at, I'm 100% positive that it goes into the waste treatment system. 

I agree with Jules.

I line my WSM water pan with foil.  Leftover water gets dumped on my lawn or garden, using a paper towel to skim any floating fat drippings.  I wipe the foil with a couple of paper towels and that and any fat gets thrown into my green waste recycle container. Our waste/recycle company requests that all grease gets thrown into the green/yard trimmings container rather than the landfill garbage.   The foil goes into the garbage.
regards,
Hal

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 03:59:22 AM »
line my bowls with foil.
next day or wen i get around to it...just crumple it up and bag it in the spent charcoal bag and garbage.

i dont dump any grease into any drains
Grills

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 03:01:16 PM »
I've never heard of storm drains running into waste treatment.  Doesn't mean it can't happen, I just don't think it's likely.

Now, I'm not anywhere near a tree-hugger, but either way, it's not a good idea to pour grease into either of those systems.  It can clog them up.

Much better to let those drippings join the leftover ashes and add them to your local landfill.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 03:18:17 PM »
Usually 90% goes into the ash bucket . And dumped in the trash bag .

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 06:44:32 PM »
Chicago & the older suburbs are that way.  Read for yourself.  https://www.chicagoriver.org/issues/policy/stormwater-and-sewer-overflows

Although I do find the add to the ashes & toss out method interesting & will likely give it a try.

I've never heard of storm drains running into waste treatment.  Doesn't mean it can't happen, I just don't think it's likely.

Now, I'm not anywhere near a tree-hugger, but either way, it's not a good idea to pour grease into either of those systems.  It can clog them up.

Much better to let those drippings join the leftover ashes and add them to your local landfill.

BD
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 07:20:55 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 02:29:41 PM »
Chicago & the older suburbs are that way.  Read for yourself.  https://www.chicagoriver.org/issues/policy/stormwater-and-sewer-overflows

Although I do find the add to the ashes & toss out method interesting & will likely give it a try.

Learn something new everyday ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 03:43:05 PM »
line my bowls with foil.
next day or wen i get around to it...just crumple it up and bag it in the spent charcoal bag and garbage.

i dont dump any grease into any drains

X2
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 09:41:31 AM »
I NEVER use water in my WSM. The water bowl is filled with crumpled up aluminum foil, covered with a sheet of aluminum foil (slightly dished to catch drippings), and acts as a heat baffle. No need for the water mess. When the cooking is done, crumple it up and trash it. And, the bowl is clean... Trust me, you don't need water.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 10:41:43 AM »
I NEVER use water in my WSM. The water bowl is filled with crumpled up aluminum foil, covered with a sheet of aluminum foil (slightly dished to catch drippings), and acts as a heat baffle. No need for the water mess. When the cooking is done, crumple it up and trash it. And, the bowl is clean... Trust me, you don't need water.
+1
I also have some foil wrapped pumice stones mixed in with the foil balls.
I have never run water in my WSM.
Runs great and less mess to clean up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere