Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Dehydrator  (Read 804 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Dehydrator
« on: December 28, 2018, 08:57:11 AM »
I used to make deer and beef jerky in a nesco dehydrator that I had used for years. Last year my little brother borrowed it and cracked the top lid. He offered to replace it but I threw it away thinking that I would use my wsm instead. Well I’ve tried the wsm a few times now and the jerky turns out ok but not nearly as good as the dehydrator.

I rushed out last night and bought a $40 valley sportsman from rural king. I’ve used for 3 days now on two batches of jerky. It looks nice and is quiet but it absolutely sucks as a dehydrator compared to the nesco. It has 5 trays and is 250 watts and claims to operate between 104 degrees and 158 degrees. At 158 the top two trays are barely above room temperature. The bottom tray is the only one that might be 158. Also it kicked off a couple times for no apparent reason. It will be going back to the store.

Now the old nesco wasn’t even dehydrating either and trays need to be rotated but not nearly as large of temperature gap as this one. 

I promptly ordered the nesco snack master from amazon and will test it Monday.

NESCO FD-75A, Snackmaster Pro Food Dehydrator, Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0090WOCN0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_htMjCb12PK1S0

Maybe I was doing it wrong but I think jerky out of a dehydrator has much better texture then out of the wsm or oven.

Also, if your jerky recipe calls for soy sauce, try using lachoy original if you haven’t already. Not sure why but it absolutely makes the jerky amazing as compared to all the other soy sauces I have tried. Just my opinion.

What machines are you guys using for jerky?

I consider the old nesco to be the best of the cheap dehydrators.

Here are some pictures of the offending valley sportsman. The jerky was actually great but took longer than normal and I couldn’t live with the temp disparity or the random turning off.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 09:01:09 AM by HoosierKettle »

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Re: Dehydrator
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 11:24:13 AM »
La choy?  There are probably 100 different brands/variations of soy sauce and in my opinion, la choy is one of the worst.  But then again, it's just like beer. Some folks gravitate to certain brands/types etc.
In terms of making jerky, I've only done it on the kettle so i can't compare it to the electric dehydrators.  I made 3 racks couple weeks ago and they turned out excellent. Took almost 9 hours at 150-170F. Too bad i didn't bother taking  any pictures.

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 12:49:25 PM »
I've only used the dehydrator for jerky (yes, Nesco). And it turns out good. I haven't yet tried it on the WSM or kettle -- it seems to me that it would be difficult to keep a low enough temp. I've considered (don't flame me) getting an electric smoker for jerky and for certain sausage recipes that require low/precise temps.
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Dehydrator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 03:35:45 PM »
La choy?  There are probably 100 different brands/variations of soy sauce and in my opinion, la choy is one of the worst.  But then again, it's just like beer. Some folks gravitate to certain brands/types etc.
In terms of making jerky, I've only done it on the kettle so i can't compare it to the electric dehydrators.  I made 3 racks couple weeks ago and they turned out excellent. Took almost 9 hours at 150-170F. Too bad i didn't bother taking  any pictures.

Yes. Lachoy. You’ve never tried it for jerky I assume.  I don’t like it for cooking or normal use either, but for some reason it pairs really well with jerky. I’ve made several batches with several kinds and everyone always prefers my batches with lachoy. I know it’s weird but that’s my findings.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 02:39:32 AM by HoosierKettle »

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 05:22:33 PM »
I have never done jerky in a dehydrator but I have done jerky in my Wsm 4 times. 1st time was laying on the grates. Last 3 batches have been skewered and hung through the grate. I use a smokey joe lid in place of the water pan wrapped in foil, weber coals and a few small chunks of cherry. I use store bought High mountain Jalapeno jerky seasoning cure marinated for a minimum of 12 hrs but usually 24. Start the fire in my wsm with less coals than a normal smoke and run the lower vents more closed than usual. Temperature is pretty easy to control.
Typically takes about 8 hours the dips in temp are when I open the lid to check for dryness.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 02:45:03 AM »

I have never done jerky in a dehydrator but I have done jerky in my Wsm 4 times. 1st time was laying on the grates. Last 3 batches have been skewered and hung through the grate. I use a smokey joe lid in place of the water pan wrapped in foil, weber coals and a few small chunks of cherry. I use store bought High mountain Jalapeno jerky seasoning cure marinated for a minimum of 12 hrs but usually 24. Start the fire in my wsm with less coals than a normal smoke and run the lower vents more closed than usual. Temperature is pretty easy to control.
Typically takes about 8 hours the dips in temp are when I open the lid to check for dryness.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

That jerky looks fantastic. I’ll bet that jalapeño flavor would be great. I’ll have to try that out.

My dehydrator jerky takes 12-16 hours. The wsm jerky took me 6-8 hours. The lower temperature and longer times seem to give me a better “chew” but I probably need more practice on making it on the wsm.