Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rib Roast on the Rotisserie  (Read 622 times)

azbeeking

• Smokey Joe
Rib Roast on the Rotisserie
« on: December 23, 2018, 05:17:27 PM »
Getting this rib roast ready for Christmas dinner.  22LBs from Fry's/Kroger.  Trimmed off 3.5lbs of fat, got 2 steaks out of it, the beef ribs and the 10.5lb roast that is going to go on the roti on Christmas day. 

My plan is 225-250 until it reaches 110, move my charcoal baskets to the middle and put the spurs to it to sear. 

Im curious how long this might take to reach 110' so I know when to start it.

What do you guys think?  Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Rib Roast on the Rotisserie
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 05:25:39 PM »
I might actually suggest something different. Start with a higher heat, 425-50 for about 30 minutes then shutting down vents and dialing it back to a roasting temp of 325-50ish. Cooking it that amount of protein low n slow would take forever..
Let us know how it goes however you decide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 05:51:06 PM »
Due to the price and quality of the beef I run two grills for my standing rib roast.

Grill one is running full chimney and wide open with the lid cracked. Rib roast goes on for 20-40 minutes depending on how large of a cut I get. This year it’s a 4lb cut so I’ll go 20-25 minutes indirect.

Grill two is setup to run between 275-325. The roast is moved to grill two and then removed once the IT is 130.

Might seem excessive but I’d rather do this than fiddle with vents and worry about running hot the entire time. It’s not a cut you want to smoke or run low and slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 07:01:54 AM »
First question you really need to consider is how you want your rib roast to look?  Do you want a consistent edge to edge color ?  If so, go with the lower chamber temp (260 or less).    If you want more of a bullseye effect where you have an outer band that's well done, an inner band at mid well, yada, yada, yada, center and whatever temp you choose, then go with a higher heat.

At 225ish,  figure around 3.5 to 4.5 hours.  Though I have to say that those numbers come from using an indirect smoker.   Thinking about it more, I'm not sure if the time would be affected due to the radiant heat (even though it too is indirect).