Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Charcoal Safety - Myths and Tips  (Read 1894 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Charcoal Safety - Myths and Tips
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2018, 02:12:09 PM »

Once done with the cook, I OPEN the vents 100% and allow the coals to completely ash out.  The next morning, I transfer the ash, by hand (messy but insurance for sure!) into a plastic grocery bag, and then in turn to a galvanized trash can. I discovered LONG ago that throttling down and trying to snuff coals like you mention, just doesn't work. Yes I have had a flare up in a trash can because I didn't let them burn down to ash...

Often I grill with sport sandals. Been doing so for decades with no issues.

Chimney goes on the ground, a good way away from the grill, people, or anything flamable.

Your wasting money. I snuff the coals then next time I fire up, i add new coal to it. Much more efficient then letting your coal burn completely up each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2018, 02:22:18 PM »
So I grill barefoot all the time...and have paid the price with the tiny speck of charcoal that drops out of the chimney.  I've done some of my best swearing under those conditions.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 02:33:05 PM »
So I grill barefoot all the time...and have paid the price with the tiny speck of charcoal that drops out of the chimney.  I've done some of my best swearing under those conditions.

I have a SS lid that covers the top of the chimney if it gets upset while its stoking, and keeps the airborne sparks down when its needed.

Then when its time to transport the chimney to the grill I hold the lid under the chimney, mostly so my dog dont burn his feet, and it catches all the coals that fall out the bottom...but not the sides.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2018, 07:41:46 PM »
I learned with #1...

One time, I used my WSM...let the coals burn out, closed the vents. 2 days later I went to scoop the ashes with a plastic cup and...it melted instantly. Almost burned my hand.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2018, 07:46:45 PM »
beware of debris

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2018, 09:34:04 PM »
After I'm done cooking i put put a pan of water on top of the charcoal. Wait  couple minutes then close all vents. The steam will help extinguish the fire much faster. 

racedvl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2018, 06:24:43 AM »
I use my S'N'S for 95% of my cooks.  I always shut the vents down, and add fresh coals on top of old coals, for the next cook.  And as far as the ash,  I have a metal 5 gallon bucket that they get dumped into.  Once full,  they get put in a bag,  and disposed of.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app