Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Grill cartoon artwork  (Read 3318 times)

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
Weber Grill cartoon artwork
« on: November 26, 2018, 12:14:45 PM »
 I grew up drawing 1970’s Hot Rod styled car cartoons as a kid. As a teenager, I began drawing comic book charactors so I have thousands upon thousands of hours making black/white ink line drawings. Due to a carrier change, I’ve put my pencil & ink down for years now. My youngest child’s recent interest in drawing has made me pick it up again. So I’d like to start this thread and share my new Weber Grill art.
 This photo I included is a pencil sketch rendering in progress. As I play with the Weber performer cartoon idea, it’ll go though changes.
I’m Wondering if anyone here other than myself is making any Weber Grill artwork on paper, canvas, wood or metal? 
I’ve done screen printing, sign painting, illustrations, portraits and custom airbrush work. I’ve designed tattoo artwork and car club t-shirt designs.
 Since the numbers are increasing at these WKC gatherings, it Would be nice to start laying out some cool WKC annual gathering t-shirt designs. Not in a hot rod art style but more of a vintage weber kettle flavor. Chris
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 09:28:26 AM by SmokinPerformer2 »

Vinnybaggadonuts

• WKC Brave
Re: Weber cartoons artwork?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 03:30:03 PM »
That’s cool!!!!

Vinny

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 03:40:12 PM »
Big Daddy!

Retired

Homerdog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 04:30:49 PM »
These are great! I'll take a t-shirt of each one!

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 04:46:26 AM »
56MPG, is that your Rat Fink illustration? That’s a cool monster T-Bone steak.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 05:05:27 AM »
Not by a long shot! Just thought it was a very cool drawing - one that I had never seen before. I'm sure it's copyrighted.
Retired

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 07:37:26 AM »
Oh okay.. yeah can’t print copyright designs on t-shirts. Wouldn’t be a smart thing.

BTW, I’m not looking to start producing t-shirts again anytime soon. Just mentioned I had experience coming up with the artwork layouts for shirts. I’ve been out of the shirt biz for a long time now and have sold all my equipment. I have nothing to gain from starting this thread. Like the rules say, if you have something to gain by posting, then don’t post it.

Like you (most of you), I’m happy being on the consumer side of the fence. So If anyone produces any Weber Grill artwork on t-shirts, I’d gladly pay $18.95 and buy one too. Just make sure you’re printing original art and have permission to use the WEBER grill logo, oh and I’m a size XL.
  IMHO, it takes more than a couple of hand drawings to convince a corporate company to give you permission to use their logo. They might ask for hundreds of dollars Up front for a 1-2 year contract plus a royalty fee per item sold. But then again like this thread I started, over 135 views and only  1 person interested in buying, not a great percentage rate but we’re not selling anything here anyway so it’s all good.
If selling,,, Think shark tank.... If there really was a huge market for such creative t-shirts, said company would have already produced them. That’s why I’m thinking small scale here as in non-profit and just draw cartoons cause it’s I want to do. So if you’re reading, start posting up some ideas for Weber Grill artwork. It doesn’t have to be a finished full color illustration.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 08:07:40 AM »

Great work Chris!

Yeah, and I’m with Marty, my first thought was Rat Fink! Must be my age.

Like you, it’s been a while since I’ve airbrushed and done screen printing.

Looks like a good time to start playing again.

-Rick
Dude, relax your chicken.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 10:32:53 AM »
I remember buying the Car-toons magazine back in the '70's. I loved that look.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 11:27:15 AM »
 ::)
I remember buying the Car-toons magazine back in the '70's. I loved that look.
you had to remind us of how vintage we are didn't you
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 01:33:49 PM »

Like you, it’s been a while since I’ve airbrushed and done screen printing.

Looks like a good time to start playing again.

-Rick

Rick, what media did you airbrush on?
 I airbrushed on almost everything....  I started on t-shirts & denim jackets in the late 1980’s and by the mid 90’s I had painted on fabric, illustration board, canvas, plastic, glass, wood and metal. Everything From toilet seats, mailboxes, Harley Davidsons, guitars, Hot Rods, leather jackets, racing helmets...
   My specialty was setting up at car shows and painting car art on t-shirts. I was pretty fast and could paint a car in about 25-35 minutes.  I also had less detailed car cartoons that I sprayed in 5-10 minutes.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 03:40:42 AM »
I love this stuff!  I wish I had my pile of CarToons still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 08:41:39 AM »
Beautiful work Chris!

The long answer, mIne was mostly for fun when I was given the “opportunity to volunteer”

Airbrush work was mostly on textiles - cheer shorts, tee shirts, megaphones (that was mostly brush work).

Little League banners, Scout banner, bowling team t-shirts (SJ Sharks logo w/ pin instead of stick), random tees

Dance costumes (Bel Biv Devoe, Muppet Babies) on denim

Winter Guard (California Color Guard Circuit) backdrops on full size bed sheets

Denim jackets, jeans

Kids kept us busy

Used a combo of silk screening and airbrush to make custom sweatshirts for myself and my seven year old son when the first TMNT movie came out. And a custom of my nephew’s Harley.

And I like to use the airbrush for shadows on my murals (dazzo.com)

Not much fine art, but I do have a Paasche AB Turbo   [emoji16]

Sorry to bore everyone

Dude, relax your chicken.

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 10:03:10 AM »
I’ve never used a Paasche turbo or a VL.  I started with the thinner barrel  Badger 150 dual action hobby airbrush and just got used to the way it handled. I then stepped up to the Thayer & Chandler Vega 2000 airbrush around 1994. That old company was awesome and loved anyone who used their brushes to earn a living. Pat was the owner and would give me a bro price on anything he sold. At one time I had 64 airbrushes, all T&C Vega 2000. My speedy t-shirt set up involved using a 27 airbrush color wheel plus 1 airbrush for matte clear coat. I had 4 spare airbrushes to swap in if one gave me clogging paint issues when painting.  I had one set up at my shop and one at home.  It was the ultimate shirt set up and cleaning them was a pain in the ass due to having so many.
  Around 2001, I switched over to Iwata’s workhorse, the Eclipse BSA for my work brushes. I closed shop in 2002 and stopped being a freelance hired airbrush artist in 2004. 

SmokinPerformer2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 10:46:27 AM »
That’s good work Rick. I’ve done many baby nursery rooms for friends and family. I used to just paint right on the wall but that took me a few days to complete. Then I started painted just the backgrounds on the wall used sign board for the characters to speed up my time. I would jig saw each character out and hand paint/airbrush them ahead of time, then just mount them to the wall after my background was painted.
 I haven’t done a room in a long time but I’m looking forward to painting my sons room this winter. He is a Brewers baseball fan and I’ll be laying out some artwork soon for wife’s approval.  Maybe a huge portrait of his favorite player and team logo angled from wall to celling.