Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cast iron appreciation thread  (Read 141696 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Cast iron appreciation thread
« Reply #195 on: August 18, 2019, 08:53:22 AM »

Tried and true reverse sear starting on weber and finishing on cast iron

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Damn fine looking steak!  Did you sear in the pan on the kettle or stove top?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

noreaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #196 on: August 18, 2019, 01:56:04 PM »

Tried and true reverse sear starting on weber and finishing on cast iron

Damn fine looking steak!  Did you sear in the pan on the kettle or stove top?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I usually sear on stovetop at night bc lighting on my patio sucks and it really makes no difference in flavor at that point

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #197 on: August 28, 2019, 11:44:13 AM »
Love cast iron, I have a few new ones that I beat on and a couple older ones too.

This colonial breakfast skillet doesn’t get used much but is a fun oddity.

Vintage griswald chef skillet is one of my favorites

And probably the one that gets the most use is the oldest in the group, a vintage Wagner. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #198 on: August 28, 2019, 11:49:28 AM »
Got some potatoes roasting on my newly acquired SSP.

#10 No name brand my mom got from Sears and a #8 Griswold

You will have to report back on which one works better. Can the mighty Griswold be slayed by the no name Sears brand. Then again...probably doesn't matter bc almost  all the Sears stores are closed. What a shame 

Just pulled them off. No contest. Griswold wins. No sticking, just nice crispy roasted potato. The sears brand wasn’t bad, but it’s thicker, and probably (definitely) not as well seasoned.
So Griswold probably took a lot less to heat up, why it worked better. But it always does! It’s my go to skillet.

If the sears pan was as well seasoned, do you think it would have worked as good?

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #199 on: August 28, 2019, 11:56:56 AM »
Got some potatoes roasting on my newly acquired SSP.

#10 No name brand my mom got from Sears and a #8 Griswold

You will have to report back on which one works better. Can the mighty Griswold be slayed by the no name Sears brand. Then again...probably doesn't matter bc almost  all the Sears stores are closed. What a shame 

Just pulled them off. No contest. Griswold wins. No sticking, just nice crispy roasted potato. The sears brand wasn’t bad, but it’s thicker, and probably (definitely) not as well seasoned.
So Griswold probably took a lot less to heat up, why it worked better. But it always does! It’s my go to skillet.

If the sears pan was as well seasoned, do you think it would have worked as good?

The Sears pan (from the 80s) was seasoned, just not as well seasoned as the Griswold pan. It may have worked better if it got more use and more seasoning but the reason I don’t use it as much is because it’s almost twice as thick and heavy as the Griswold. It takes a lot longer to get to temperature vs. Griswold.  I think if I would’ve preheated it before adding the potatoes, it would have been a more even outcome.

MBH redhead 22”, Smokey joe AU, Q 100, SSP EE code, new 26”
Looking for MBH 26

noreaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #200 on: August 28, 2019, 06:22:27 PM »
Love cast iron, I have a few new ones that I beat on and a couple older ones too.

This colonial breakfast skillet doesn’t get used much but is a fun oddity.

Vintage griswald chef skillet is one of my favorites

And probably the one that gets the most use is the oldest in the group, a vintage Wagner. 

You have good taste in skillets. I could see that chef skillet getting a lot of use

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #201 on: September 07, 2019, 12:09:29 PM »
Got all of this for 10 bucks today! Need to do some seasoning

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Cast iron appreciation thread
« Reply #202 on: September 10, 2019, 05:35:54 PM »
I was lucky to acquire a few heirlooms tonight!  My mom passed away in 2005 and I had forgotten that she had some cast iron.  I use my lodge pieces all the time but hers would be so cool to cook on.  I asked my dad if he still had it and he did!  Mom did not use it often but she made the best corn bread I’ve ever eaten.  I believe the Wagner was my grandmother’s.  It needs some mild cleaning and re-seasoning.  The little novelty skillet was one of her ashtrays...lol.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 05:39:10 PM by michaelmilitello »

noreaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #203 on: September 12, 2019, 06:16:32 PM »
I was lucky to acquire a few heirlooms tonight!  My mom passed away in 2005 and I had forgotten that she had some cast iron.  I use my lodge pieces all the time but hers would be so cool to cook on.  I asked my dad if he still had it and he did!  Mom did not use it often but she made the best corn bread I’ve ever eaten.  I believe the Wagner was my grandmother’s.  It needs some mild cleaning and re-seasoning.  The little novelty skillet was one of her ashtrays...lol.

Congrats. Keep them forever. I am seeing 2 Wagner's. The marked one. I believe the other that says 9 inch skillet on the bottom is also an unmarked Wagner. Can't see the small one well enough on my phone to say on that one.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Cast iron appreciation thread
« Reply #204 on: November 06, 2019, 02:22:23 PM »
As a fan of Le Creuset and Star Wars, I thought this was pretty cool

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #205 on: November 06, 2019, 02:27:13 PM »
That is very cool

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #206 on: December 05, 2019, 02:27:07 PM »
Bought a couple of Wagner waffle irons from eBay recently.  One with a short base, the other with a tall base.  I think the last time I made waffles was 10 years ago when my cheap Walmart Chinese waffle maker went up in smoke.  Pictures are from the auction.

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #207 on: December 05, 2019, 03:20:27 PM »
Bought a couple of Wagner waffle irons from eBay recently.  One with a short base, the other with a tall base.  I think the last time I made waffles was 10 years ago when my cheap Walmart Chinese waffle maker went up in smoke.  Pictures are from the auction.
Nice! I have a tall base but mine has wooden handles. By far the best waffles are made on cast iron waffle irons. Enjoy!

MBH redhead 22”, Smokey joe AU, Q 100, SSP EE code, new 26”
Looking for MBH 26

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #208 on: December 06, 2019, 07:03:27 AM »
I have a 3rd Wagner waffle maker with wood handles, but it's aluminum.  Exact same markings as the cast iron ones.  I haven't tried it yet.  It didn't come with a base, but fits the cast iron bases perfectly.

noreaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #209 on: December 06, 2019, 05:22:46 PM »
Beautiful. Looks new. Iconic American brand