Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cast iron appreciation thread  (Read 158188 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Cast iron appreciation thread
« Reply #165 on: June 11, 2019, 04:58:47 AM »

I'd have to check, but I swore there was a disclaimer on my shop towels as not being food safe.

I use shortening and Bounty paper towels.  I don't usually have an issue with lint.

I’m using the white towels not the ones on a blue roll. I feel comfortable using them for seasoning.

The company knows that people using these will he cleaning their hands with them so they are not going to contain toxins.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #166 on: June 11, 2019, 05:59:26 AM »

I'd have to check, but I swore there was a disclaimer on my shop towels as not being food safe.

I use shortening and Bounty paper towels.  I don't usually have an issue with lint.

I’m using the white towels not the ones on a blue roll. I feel comfortable using them for seasoning.

The company knows that people using these will he cleaning their hands with them so they are not going to contain toxins.

The white ones are perfect, we have them here at work and occasionally the last few on a roll travel home with me
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

noreaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #167 on: June 11, 2019, 04:36:00 PM »
My cast iron addiction wouldnt let me pass up this fully marked wagner sidney O no. 5 for a good price. Age...1935-59 or so. Not a spinner.  Sits flat. Inside smooth as glass. Just a tiny amount of surface rust which should clean up easily

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
« Reply #168 on: June 12, 2019, 03:46:39 PM »
I've got some newer cast iron pans and they're all bumpy. doing a quick Google I've read that it's actually sand and that newer/cheaper brands don't do the finishing that better companies like Lodge do. my wife got them for cheap at a second hand store, so I can't complain. I'm wondering if anyone here knows what I'm talking about and can advise me how I can do some finishing?

after I wash my pans in hot water, I usually drizzle a drop or two of oil and wipe down with some paper towel. can't do that with these as it actually pulls out fibers from the paper towel and makes a mess. looks like my pans have mold growing all over them.

also, on the side, how many of you use those chain mail clothes to clean your cast iron, when it's got some caked on build up n stuff?

another aside, I'd always previously inherited well seasoned pans, so never needed to season...but these newer pre-seasoned ones still need some help. any recommendations for seasoning solutions? search for that on Amazon and there's way to many results! :P
Power Corrupts, But Absolute Power Is Kinda Cool!

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #169 on: June 12, 2019, 04:41:30 PM »
Most of my cast iron is modern Lodge which has the texture.  Once it gets a good seasoning, I actually prefer it to my smooth bottom Wagners, especially when cooking eggs and fish.  You can't even see the texture on my cast iron pizza pan anymore.

I knock off the big stuff with chain mail, then use a Lodge 10" scrub brush.  After washing, I heat it back up on the stove and put a dollop of shortening in it.  Once it liquifies, I give a quick wipe with a paper towel to remove the excess.  The only time I have an issue with paper towels leaving lint is when I try to scrub with it.  If I'm scrubbing with a paper towel, I didn't do a good enough job washing it.

I always burn off the factory seasoning, then do 2-3 seasoning cycles.  I do it outdoors on the gasser and I only use shortening.  Everyone has a different method - one of my best friends only uses bacon grease and he doesn't burn off the factory seasoning.

M.N.Tolmachoff

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #170 on: June 12, 2019, 09:42:33 PM »

Cast iron and kettles go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

What size dutch oven or skillet fits the GBS hole?
I see you fit one in for that bean dish.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
22.5 Performer (RIP), 22.5 Master-Touch, Ez-Que, Smokinator 1000, Mini-WSM, SJG, CGA, Keep on Turning rotisserie for kebabs.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Cast iron appreciation thread
« Reply #171 on: June 13, 2019, 02:57:48 AM »
I've got some newer cast iron pans and they're all bumpy. doing a quick Google I've read that it's actually sand and that newer/cheaper brands don't do the finishing that better companies like Lodge do. my wife got them for cheap at a second hand store, so I can't complain. I'm wondering if anyone here knows what I'm talking about and can advise me how I can do some finishing?

after I wash my pans in hot water, I usually drizzle a drop or two of oil and wipe down with some paper towel. can't do that with these as it actually pulls out fibers from the paper towel and makes a mess. looks like my pans have mold growing all over them.

also, on the side, how many of you use those chain mail clothes to clean your cast iron, when it's got some caked on build up n stuff?

another aside, I'd always previously inherited well seasoned pans, so never needed to season...but these newer pre-seasoned ones still need some help. any recommendations for seasoning solutions? search for that on Amazon and there's way to many results! :P

This is my favorite resource for care and maintenance.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/how-to-clean-maintain-cast-iron-pan-skillet-cookware.html

And this is my favorite way to smooth cast iron.

https://youtu.be/ljSQrSoSYAE

I have some smooth vintage pieces and rough modern pieces. Both have pros and cons. While I don’t find sanding necessary, my favorite is a modern lodge that has been sanded a little to knock down the bumps.  Just a couple minutes with a palm sander and 100 grit sandpaper is all that is needed if you want a better surface for wiping out.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 03:08:16 AM by HoosierKettle »

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
« Reply #172 on: June 13, 2019, 06:34:23 AM »
thanks for the recommendations guys.

how do you burn off seasoning? I thought it was washed off with hot water and soap?
Power Corrupts, But Absolute Power Is Kinda Cool!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #173 on: June 13, 2019, 06:52:55 AM »

thanks for the recommendations guys.

how do you burn off seasoning? I thought it was washed off with hot water and soap?

Really high heat will do it.  I don’t worry about it in new pieces.

Used pieces that are gunked up, I use a lye bath, then vinegar bath, then clean and season.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #174 on: June 24, 2019, 07:55:24 PM »

noreaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #175 on: July 10, 2019, 05:52:44 PM »
Newly aquired wagner sidney ohio bacon and egg breakfast skillet. Got to clean and season

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #176 on: July 11, 2019, 02:49:39 AM »

Newly aquired wagner sidney ohio bacon and egg breakfast skillet. Got to clean and season

Nice. I haven’t seen one of those before.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #177 on: July 11, 2019, 03:23:19 AM »

That one is cool @noreaster
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #178 on: July 11, 2019, 01:29:31 PM »
I have been looking for one of those skillets at a reasonable price for a long time, hopefully a Griswold.

noreaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #179 on: July 11, 2019, 04:59:21 PM »
They are out there. Like weber grills in that respect