Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex Heat Issue  (Read 848 times)

SteelKeg

• Happy Cooker
Vortex Heat Issue
« on: October 12, 2018, 05:53:35 AM »
Hi folks...quick question with the Vortex.....I'm grilling using a 2016 Performer. I'm having issues breaking 450 degrees with my Vortex, and even have a big drop off when adding chicken, before I have to tinker to get it back to an acceptable cooking level. I've used it 3-4 times and each time I've had to add coals and screw with dampers before it come back to 450 level.  I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I've tried starting it by filling the Vortex in place....I've used a full chimney then pouring it into the Vortex as well. What should the dampers be set at? Am I not letting the coals get hot enough before adding the chicken? More coals? I guess I'm just looking for some advice or how everything should be set up to get the most out of the Vortex.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Vortex Heat Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 06:27:46 AM »
Vents open. Sounds like your letting the coals go past peak heat before you start cooking

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 06:01:05 PM »
I start the coals right in the Vortex...I fill it about half way with briqs, add two of the Weber starter cubes (lit) and fill the vortex with lump...Then when fully lit I close down the vents to get the heat down to 450/500...That's where I get my best results...650 plus is highly over rated in my opinion...

Erich

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 05:15:06 PM »
When I cook wings with the Vortex, I start a full chimney of briquettes and dump into the vortex when the top of the chimney is getting gray around the edges.
Load the wings and put the lid on with top and bottom vents wide open.
The temp gage in the lid runs 500-550. It will hold that temp for the entire 45 minute cook.