Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slate Performer Silver  (Read 3682 times)

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Re: Slate Performer Silver
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2018, 09:58:07 AM »
It's a very modern looking frame so the taco shell doesn't really look out of place. You don't have much choice  because of the need for the fender washer to conceal the previous damage.   
Here's a sample with a reshaped strap with a fender washer.

I reshaped the fender washer also by grinding the front and sides.

That's without the fender washer. Flexible graphite was used as a gasket.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2018, 12:25:51 PM »
Nice clean work Jules! For me, as functional as those taco shells are, I would rather have them off. Personal choice and I don't mind the new style handle assy. but when I am customizing often times than not, taco handle assy. comes off.

Talking about taco handles, I worked on few more kettles today.  All my custom Canadian MT kettles are tacoless now. Except the Copper MT.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 03:08:55 PM by greenweb »

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 01:57:12 PM »
Yeah i hear you. As much as I'm not a fan of the taco shell as it looks funky, i just decided to embrace it since all my grills are in regular rotation and do quite a bit of very high temperature cooking.  Not only does the handles gets very hot, it also damages the wood handle.  Slight cracking and the top coat flaking off are very likely caused by excessive heat.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2018, 04:02:01 AM »
Yeah i hear you. As much as I'm not a fan of the taco shell as it looks funky, i just decided to embrace it since all my grills are in regular rotation and do quite a bit of very high temperature cooking.  Not only does the handles gets very hot, it also damages the wood handle.  Slight cracking and the top coat flaking off are very likely caused by excessive heat.

Yours more practical for sure and looks really cool with that straight down handle strap.

Here is my version of reshaped strap taco handle on my gen4 c&b green P.

How it looks with the shell removed.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 04:55:22 AM by greenweb »

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2018, 04:47:43 AM »
Very nice!  One question though, are you going to straighten out that handle?  I can't get over the curve.

;D ;D ;D

No not on this one. I have tried fireplace and reg. black handle strap on it, but with that big washer in place makes it looks even worse.  Least noticeable is with the taco shell in place but I rather have that off.  Bit of a compromise but I like the clean look. Original curved handle kind of makes the washer less noticeable.   Maybe I should keep the taco shell on. Should i keep it on or off?

Update.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Slate Performer Silver
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 10:13:52 AM »
Both handles looks very  sharp and elegant. Can't go wrong with either one. 

I'm assuming those are factory replacement grass green lids.
Also what specific fel-pro gasket are you using? Just want to try it out if it works better than the flexible graphite that I've been using. Thanks.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2018, 11:01:45 AM »
I tried  both handle set and settled on the plastic I am Canadian handle for the Slate performer. Double rivet style wood handle set stays on c&b green with the shell intact as an authentic gen4 performer. 

Yes, for the lid and this is the exact gasket sheet I have been using. https://www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-3046-Gasket-Material/dp/B000CNBVVM/ref=sr_1_15?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1539455228&sr=1-15&keywords=fel-pro+gasket. I recall posting links for different fiber gasket sheets in the past that maybe better for higher temp.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 11:15:31 AM by greenweb »

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2018, 01:37:09 PM »
I like the color, well done!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Chesapeake Weber

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2022, 07:19:52 PM »
Hey @greenweb, I’ve got an opportunity to pick a fold down performer up.  I have found a whole lot on these around the forum, but saw your mod thread here.

First, the slate in that frame looks pretty nice!   Overall, what are your thoughts on the grill setup and durability of the folding table design?   Thanks for your insights!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Samuel

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2022, 04:34:50 AM »
Do you have a link and the dimensions of the washer you used under the handle?