Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Dedicate Pizza Rig  (Read 4115 times)

azbeeking

• Smokey Joe
New Dedicate Pizza Rig
« on: October 05, 2018, 09:41:28 PM »
Thought I would do a small recollection of the dedicated pizza rig I put together today.

I have been planning this for a while and was waiting for the right parts and mostly for the weather to cool down here in AZ. 
I cut the typical arch way into the lid.  Then used an old pizza stone to try to reflect heat in the dome. I drilled the pizza stone and the lid to attach it to the top.  Next I used the bricks and shards of old pizza stone to bring the new bbq dragon stone to the level of the top of the kettle.  Then I used 2 chimneys full of Lump Charcoal under the pizza stone.  I left room in the corner where the bbq dragon stone is cut out and built a fire with oak fire cooking wood.  Once this was going I tried putting the lid on but the kettle wasn't getting enough air.  I ended up drilling a few holes in the lid which helped but I had to kinda tilt the lid off for now to keep it getting enough air. I got the temp on the deck up to 704 and around 840 on the dome.  I was pretty happy. 

This was pretty much a dry run.  My wife and I are eating healthier so for today I only cooked a frozen cauliflower crust pizza but it only took about 90 seconds.  I will be doing a neopolitan style pizza this weekend. 

Excuse the grass, I decided to have my sprinkler system redone and winter rye goes in next week. 

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 09:52:05 PM by azbeeking »

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
Re: New Dedicate Pizza Rig
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 09:54:43 PM »
Nice!  I just picked up a red mbh for my high temp cooks

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 04:16:14 AM »
Nice work @azbeeking. I did something very similar with a $15 CL find. I absolutely love it. I will likely Repurpose another one when I find the right kettle.

Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 04:48:23 AM »
@Fire Starter , I've tried to attach the link to my post in the spring. First pizza mod and cook. Thanks WKC!!
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=36361. I use this regularly to make some decent pies, often for large groups. The second one will be from a taco handle. Found my handle gets super hot from the high temps.

Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 05:04:07 AM »
That pizza kettle is really blazing!
I think that the modification for a special purpose is a great idea. Keep us posted on the rest of the pizzas.
[emoji6]
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

azbeeking

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 06:13:49 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. 

The lid that I cut was off of a performer that I have completely restored.  The performer was in decent shape with lots of paint missing from the frame.  The ash catcher was rusted through and all of the paint was missing.  The biggest issue was a lid that had been dropped or previously used as a bludgeon and dented so badly around the edge that it wouldn't have been useable.  So I ordered new wheels and casters, sanded and painted the frame, sanded and sealed the side table, replaced the ignition and bought a new 22.5 inch kettle to use as a donor replacing the lid and ash catcher and the grill grates on the performer, and repurposing the lid and rest of the remaining brand new kettle to use as the pizza cooker. 

The pizza cooker still needs more air.  I was thinking of trying to use a blower like might be used in a metal forge. 

Let me know what you guys think. 

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 06:30:03 AM »
Pretty neat !

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 07:15:22 AM »

The biggest issue was a lid that had been dropped or previously used as a bludgeon and dented so badly around the edge that it wouldn't have been useable.

azbeeking, you should in no way have to justify your awesome mod.  Ignore Fire Starter and his drunken ranting, he doesn’t represent the majority of WKCers.  You have taken a dead, unusable lid and found a way to bring it back to life.  Instead of just throwing it out and finding or claiming a new lid through warranty from Weber, you rescued it and gave it new life! Good on you for embracing the WKC motto of Rescue, Restore, and Respect!

"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

azbeeking

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 07:29:31 AM »
Thanks lowbrass.

I’m making dough today will update. I might try to cook tonight depending on the dough.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 08:48:54 AM »
yeah cut away. we're all about modding and doing whatever you want with your grill here.

some of us will cry if we see you cut up something rare, but most black grills are fair game.

Fire Starter was out of line, out of touch, and has been removed.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 08:54:28 AM »
I’m just glad you apologized and explained about the lawn. I was more worried about that [emoji12][emoji12][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

azbeeking

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 01:07:12 PM »
Ha, @HoosierKettle lawns are a strange source of pride around here.  Luckily, this is my backyard so the neighborhood watch and report me on Next Door app. 

swamprb

• WKC Performer
New Dedicate Pizza Rig
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2018, 06:35:48 PM »
I was thinking the bbq dragon deflector would work great in a pizza setup
Are Reds rare? Cuz I’m gonna drop this in an SSP frame

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 06:38:11 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Erictag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 07:37:24 PM »
 Thank you Troy!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2018, 05:29:18 AM »
I am worried about you using winter rye for your lawn. Did you mean rye grass? Around here winter rye is a cereal grain like wheat or oats and will be over 3 feet high with grain heads. I guess you could get a grain mill and use the grill as a bread oven.