Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Transporting Weber Performer  (Read 1173 times)

andrewrmunro

• Happy Cooker
Transporting Weber Performer
« on: October 01, 2018, 08:05:19 PM »
Found a used 2016 Weber Performer. Will it fit in the back of my 2011 Subaru Outback?

If not I can borrow a 2016 Dodge Caravan from the in-laws. Think it would fit in the caravan with the seats filed down?

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Re: Transporting Weber Performer
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 08:11:06 PM »
With ratchet straps and bungee cords anything will fit.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 08:39:11 PM »
I would go with the mini-van.  Plenty of room.  Not so much with an outback.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 08:42:05 PM »
It should fit, may require some disassembly.  I'd imagine a newer Performer would fit similarly.

For an SSP in my Corolla Wagon or Mazda3, I show up prepared to remove wheels/axle & bowl. 

channel lock pliers for burner tube and wrestling off wheel push nut.

7/16" racheting open/box wrench

7/16" socket and ratchet handle

masking tape for taping lid down to prevent it opening

Bucket for removed small parts, tool hangers, regulator, control panel etc

garbage bag for lid/bowl/Grates/Ash bucket

blanket to protect car interior

An assembled SSP frame with wheels removed is a tight fit, tighter in the Mazda3 than the Corolla wagon.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 08:44:45 PM by ClubChapin »

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 08:45:32 PM »
I would go with the mini-van.  Plenty of room.  Not so much with an outback.

That would be the easier option.

mdb240

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 03:31:13 AM »
Found a used 2016 Weber Performer. Will it fit in the back of my 2011 Subaru Outback?

If not I can borrow a 2016 Dodge Caravan from the in-laws. Think it would fit in the caravan with the seats filed down?

I have transported a couple of performers in my dodge caravan, fits fine. Bring a strap with you so the grill doesnt band around and hit the back window glass.

andrewrmunro

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 04:04:00 AM »

I have transported a couple of performers in my dodge caravan, fits fine. Bring a strap with you so the grill doesnt band around and hit the back window glass.

Were you able to fit it in your caravan by standing in fit up with the lid on, or did you have to take the lid off or lay the bbq on it’s side?

mdb240

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 04:36:37 AM »

Were you able to fit it in your caravan by standing in fit up with the lid on, or did you have to take the lid off or lay the bbq on it’s side?

I take the lid off just because i dont want to hear it rattling around during the drive. It actually fits standing up. You have to put the seats down though for the length.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 04:53:08 AM »
Minivan is the way to go. But it isn't hard to disassemble gen4 performers, of need be. I've done it at least 4 times stuffing it into my sedan.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 07:05:12 AM »
FWIW - I can fit an assembled Performer, with wheels on, in the back of my Volvo V70 wagon. Of course it's on its side for the ride. Tight fit but it works.
Retired

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 07:20:44 AM »
You could try tape measure [emoji12]. Just measure a demo.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Transporting Weber Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 08:20:18 AM »
Just dismantle it. I've transported more than 20 performers the past year or so in a small sedan.  On all performers except ssp, all you need is a drill driver with a phillips tip to remove the 16 bolts.  Maybe a long long nose plier to remove the burner clip. You can actually just push it out with a tip of a key or with  just your fingers Should be fully dismantled and loaded in less than 5 minutes.