Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thermometer for monitoring grill temp  (Read 5810 times)

spinsheet

• Smokey Joe
Thermometer for monitoring grill temp
« on: May 30, 2013, 02:35:58 PM »
Is there a recommended thermometer for monitoring the temperature of the grill? Can I just stick one down in one of the top vent holes to keep an eye on the temp? If so, is there a specific one that I should get? I have the Weber One Touch Gold 22".

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Re: Thermometer for monitoring grill temp
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 02:54:11 PM »
Best of both worlds with the Maverick ET-732
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 04:33:04 PM »
For dial thermometers people recommend tel-tru. They come in a bunch of sizes, colors, and some can be calibrated. You can pop it through a vent hole (some people plug it through a cork to secure it) or drill a hole into the lid to mount it. For about $60 you can use the maverick ET-732 which also comes with a meat probe and a wireless transmitter for the temp. I find the dial more convenient for simple cooks vs a wired thermometer.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 06:48:41 PM »
Part #70180 from eReplacements for 13 bucks shipped and a few minutes with a drill was the route I took on my OTG
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

spinsheet

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 07:02:50 AM »
BMan,

That looks like the route that I would like to take. I see how the wireless would be nice but I'm looking for something a bit simpler. Any advice on the best place to drill the hole? High, low, doesn't matter?

And thanks everyone for all of the advice.

Thanks!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 07:15:07 AM »
I have used my UDS thermometer, which is easily removed on my unit. Put it in one of the vent holes.

Also a $5 grill therm. I peak at it thru the lid vent. Sometimes a flashlight is required to view it.  ???

The Maverick ET-73, and ET-732 are great units. I have both. Some people hate them, but, I have been lucky with mine, so far.  :D

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 07:38:41 AM »
Part #70180 from eReplacements for 13 bucks shipped and a few minutes with a drill was the route I took on my OTG

I have an ET-732 among others from my performers and the resale shop.   This Official Weber Thermo looks great.   If you want the most accurate  Tel-Tru thermometers are considered the most accurate and adjustable to calibrate.

This guys sells Tru-Tel and most other options.  Tel-Tru thermos are made in the U.S.A.
http://www.kck.com/bbq_thermometer_barbecue_grill_smoker_temperature_gauge.html
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 07:41:21 AM by javahog2002 »
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
Re: Re: Thermometer for monitoring grill temp
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 09:05:32 AM »
I have used my UDS thermometer, which is easily removed on my unit. Put it in one of the vent holes.

Also a $5 grill therm. I peak at it thru the lid vent. Sometimes a flashlight is required to view it.  ???

The Maverick ET-73, and ET-732 are great units. I have both. Some people hate them, but, I have been lucky with mine, so far.  :D

Is it camera perspective or is that thermo in the top pic HUGE???
The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Re: Thermometer for monitoring grill temp
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 09:22:31 AM »
Is it camera perspective or is that thermo in the top pic HUGE???

Yes. It is huge! The longer the stem meant a larger face. I was not overly thrilled with that.
Nice to look at from a distance, though. I should have went with Tel-Tru.  ???
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 09:40:12 AM »
BMan,

That looks like the route that I would like to take. Any advice on the best place to drill the hole? High, low, doesn't matter?

I just tried to mimic what Weber did on the Performer lids. 
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 11:49:50 AM »
Spinsheet, I also like the Weber thermometers.  Simple, cheap, plenty accurate for most uses.  If you don't have a Performer around to compare it to (not all of us have as many grills as Bman), maybe visit the Home Depot grill department with a tape measure to get a good idea of where it should go.  Starting in 2013, all One-Touch Golds have the lid thermo.

You'll actually need two holes.  Once you find the right size bit (I use a scrap of wood to make sure the thermo will fit through), put some masking tape on the target area, mark the spot, and drill the main hole.  Then pass the thermometer and bezel through the hole, set it into the proper orientation, and push the registration tab into the tape to mark the location.  Drill where the tape is dented and you're all set.
One of the charcoal people.