Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rotisserie Turkey  (Read 11382 times)

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
Re: Rotisserie Turkey
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2021, 08:08:27 AM »
What is the benefit of using the rotisserie vs just cooking it on the grill grate?
I have seen both on YouTube, can't really tell much difference.
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

65Westy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2021, 09:15:38 AM »
What is the benefit of using the rotisserie vs just cooking it on the grill grate?

My guess is that you would get a more evenly distributed cook with a rotisserie that placing it on a grill.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2021, 10:15:09 AM »

My guess is that you would get a more evenly distributed cook with a rotisserie that placing it on a grill.
that and the bird actually bastes itself as it rotates, grate combo !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2021, 03:23:08 AM »

Just curious then as to why the guys I see baste their birds with melted butter as it spins? Is it not self basting?

And how about the Butterball Turkey? Do those work on a kettle? They come in a brine solution from the packaging plant.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2021, 05:35:45 AM »

Just curious then as to why the guys I see baste their birds with melted butter as it spins? Is it not self basting?

And how about the Butterball Turkey? Do those work on a kettle? They come in a brine solution from the packaging plant.

I'd say to crisp the skin and give it a good color.  While natural basting is rendered fat and water butter is more like a non-diluted oil.  Fry v/s boil = crispy v/s soggy maybe.  For my rotisserie prime rib roast I baste with a mix of butter, olive oil, rosemary and thyme.  Gives it a wonderful crust.  Can't wait to roti something with all I'm seeing on FB!

And I'm sure a Butterball would be great on a kettle.  I just wouldn't double brine.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 05:37:16 AM by bamakettles »

blu082003

• WKC Brave
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2021, 08:15:09 AM »

Tried a practice turkey last night. Came out really good with nice crispy skin. I used a cb stacker with the deflector that way I could fill the bottom with charcoal. Able to finish the bird without refilling the charcoal. I think I’ll test one more time before the big day.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2021, 11:42:15 AM »
That looks great.
There's a distinctly different taste & texture to a roti as oppose to smoked or BBQ'd.
I do brine mine overnight & then pat dry I also use a savory baste with chicken & veggie stock (or bullion cubes dissolved in tap water) &  a little olive oil. You must shake to mix immediately before dipping the brush in.

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2021, 02:52:44 PM »

I'd say to crisp the skin and give it a good color.  While natural basting is rendered fat and water butter is more like a non-diluted oil.  Fry v/s boil = crispy v/s soggy maybe.  For my rotisserie prime rib roast I baste with a mix of butter, olive oil, rosemary and thyme.  Gives it a wonderful crust.  Can't wait to roti something with all I'm seeing on FB!

And I'm sure a Butterball would be great on a kettle.  I just wouldn't double brine.

Here is what the nice people at Butterball say about brining:

https://www.butterball.com/recipes/thanksgiving-brine

65Westy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2021, 10:28:44 AM »
I spun my Thanksgiving Turkey on my Glen Blue 26. It came out great.

I found that i needed more briquettes than i did in the 22 i used last year. I think starting with 25 would be better if you started with 30 on each side. I was barely hitting 250 with just 25 on each side.

I found that adding 13 rather than 9 kept the temp stable at around 350.