Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Cook On My 18" WSM  (Read 1650 times)

WinnipegKettle

• Smokey Joe
First Cook On My 18" WSM
« on: July 26, 2018, 03:35:16 AM »
Well i did some jerky on it a few weeks ago so i guess its my second cook on it. Doing about a 5-7 lb brisket and its my first attempt at a brisket. I've done some pork loins on my 22" kettle with good results. Really just looking for some basic tips such as smoker temps what kind and how many wood chunks length of time for cook and internal meat temps as well. Bought some Stubbs briquets so want to use those or would you recommend another kind. Any basic tips would be great and thanks.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: First Cook On My 18" WSM
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 06:14:12 AM »
Everybody does it differently so you are bound to get different answers across the board.

5-7lb Brisket? Is it a point or flat? I have cooked a 7lb full packer before which is why I ask.

Here is what I would recommend:
-Use the Stubbs briquettes...they are excellent.
-Smoke wood...your choice 2-3 fist sized chunks will be plenty. I have used Apple/Pecan with beef with great results.
-Kosher salt and course black pepper 50/50.
-Dial in the WSM for 275 degrees. Try and keep it between 250-300.
-No Water in the pan (line with foil for easy cleanup). Fat side DOWN if it hasn't all been trimmed away.
-Spritz with a combination of apple juice/cider vinegar/Worcestershire sauce periodically ratio of 2-3/1/a dash.
-Wrap at 165 internal. Start checking it around 198. Cook until 203-205 (you may need to go a little higher, but feel it with the probe).
-If wrapping in foil at the stall, vent steam when you pull it off or it will overcook.
-Let it rest for an hour.

One tip I will say is if you lift the lid on the WSM, work quickly. Temps will skyrocket if you leave the lid off too long.

WinnipegKettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 05:01:46 AM »
Thanks for the input Mike and here's what i have done so far
- using Stubbs
-2 fist size and 2 smaller chunks
-used 3 layers of spices
-used water in pan starting with very hot tap water
-plan to mop maybe beef broth
- 2 hours in and temp is holding at 275

WinnipegKettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 04:00:40 AM »
The brisket turned out absolutely fantastic thought was looking at a 10 hour smoke but it was done in 8. Looking forward to the next one.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 09:22:14 AM »
Epic! Glad it went well.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 11:36:18 AM »
8 hrs sounds about right for that weight....glad it turned out well...i think its hard to do it wrong...just ways to do it better as you learn thru more smokes
Grills

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 05:41:44 AM »
I have a bunch of Apple, Cherry, Hickory WoodChunks and small pieces that have been hanging-around in their original packages for over four(4) years. Question, still good to use???

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 04:32:57 AM »
Nothing wrong with a Fantastic Brisket!! 

Sounds like a super successful cook!!

Grate job!!

Got pics?

J
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...