Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pulled pork take 2!! Better but not perfect  (Read 982 times)

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Pulled pork take 2!! Better but not perfect
« on: September 03, 2018, 03:06:58 PM »
Started out with an 8.5 pound pork shoulder from sprouts, used an exsisting weber bbq rub i had and added spices to give it some heat but not overwhelming. On the grill 7
5 hours and a 30 min rest. Wrapped after 3 hours internal of 145. Glazed at 200 internal for 15 more mins and rested.

around the bone it pulled just like you see on tv nice easy super tender, on the oppisate end tho it was tougher but not so tough i couldnt do it by hand, just not melt in your hands like the bone side.

So questions i have now, what did i do wrong to have it half and half like that? What would make it better next time? Grill temp fluctuated between 230 and 250 most of the time. Not bad seeing i have horrible control of grill temp.

What i didnt do - i didnt inject it no reason just didnt, also i didnt spray it every so often, honestly just forgot about doing it.

Eliza is a fan couldnt keep her hands out if it lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
Re: Pulled pork take 2!! Better but not perfect
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 01:26:57 PM »
any idea where the tough side of the meat was compared to the portion of the snake that was lit and/or the area of the kettle that had no charcoal?  The little ones can be the toughest critics so I'd say that last photo proves you did just fine!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

jimz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 01:35:50 PM »
I did my first shoulder on the 18” wan yesterday. I think I prefer them coming off the kettle as u did. I think the smoke hits it harder and leaves it’s mark. Chicken is another story....

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JayyyR

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 01:40:02 PM »
I'm definitely no pro but using the snake I would've rotated it 180 degrees at least once during the cook and also throw final temp out the window. I don't pull it off till it's probe tender all over. If one side is still a bit stiff I let it go until the whole shoulder is like butter when probing.

All that aside it looks grate and you may be giving yourself a hard time. And the little one doesn't look like she's complaining :)

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 03:56:58 PM »
I'm definitely no pro but using the snake I would've rotated it 180 degrees at least once during the cook and also throw final temp out the window. I don't pull it off till it's probe tender all over. If one side is still a bit stiff I let it go until the whole shoulder is like butter when probing.

All that aside it looks grate and you may be giving yourself a hard time. And the little one doesn't look like she's complaining :)
Yea you plan and plan and forget everything once game time comes around lol. Ill judge by probe tender next time

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 03:58:01 PM »
any idea where the tough side of the meat was compared to the portion of the snake that was lit and/or the area of the kettle that had no charcoal?  The little ones can be the toughest critics so I'd say that last photo proves you did just fine!
Thats what it was, i put the thick end on the side the heat would pass because i didnt want it to over cook the smaller tip.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 04:10:14 PM »
It looks great to me. Now make pulled pork nachos or fry the leftovers in a skillet for tacos. That takes pulled pork over the top imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 05:37:41 PM »
8.5 pound butt...230-250 degrees...7.5 hours....

Ya might have rushed it just a bit if ya ask me...

The bone side was more done because the bone conducts heat...The other side was not as done and maybe rotating the roast and another hour or so would have fixed that...

Sooo...try again and see what ya end up with...That's half the fun...

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 10:45:32 AM »
8.5 pound butt...230-250 degrees...7.5 hours....

Ya might have rushed it just a bit if ya ask me...

The bone side was more done because the bone conducts heat...The other side was not as done and maybe rotating the roast and another hour or so would have fixed that...

Sooo...try again and see what ya end up with...That's half the fun...
Yup it was only 8 bucks and i have plenty left over so im not too disapointed but next time im going to up my game up. Though it wasnt a bad 2nd try. 3rd times the charm right lol

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 11:40:15 AM »
You need to figure at lest 90 minutes per pound. A 12 hour smoke is pretty normal for me.
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

KettleMaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 10:32:38 PM »
Nice cook & your coals look perfectly stacked! Makes me laugh when you read about ppl who complain about stacking coals for long cooks;you will be cooking for hours on end and it doesnt take much effort to build a snake lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app