Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Old kettle re-united  (Read 714 times)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Old kettle re-united
« on: August 24, 2018, 07:47:48 AM »
This unassuming 18 year old kettle below may look ordinary, but it’s the first kettle I had....

Long story, short, I bought this in 2000 when my future wife and I got engaged and moved into our first apartment.   My dad, who had used Webers all his life, helped me assemble it and taught me how to use it.   It “ignited” my love of grilling.  We used it for 2-3 years until we bought our first home.   Life was busy and I was wanting to “upgrade” to a Genesis, which we did in 2003.   The kettle got little use as I embraced the convenience of gas.   As a result, I gave away my kettle to my brother in law. 

Fast forward to 2014, I “rediscovered” the joy of charcoal and caught weberistis.   First, it was a black otg then a 18.5 WSM.  Since last summer, I’ve acquired 9 more kettles of various colors and vintage.  Just recently, my brother in law bought a new charbroil gas to coal and asked me if I wanted my old kettle back.  I jumped at the chance!   I picked it up last weekend.  Fortunately, it was garage kept and it just needs tlc and new sweeps.  I’m looking forward to making it shine and cook again.  It’s already disassembled and waiting for clean up.  I’m not real sentimental, but this kettle has a special place in my collection.  I still have the Genesis and now it’s the one seeing little action.   
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:01:20 AM by michaelmilitello »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Old kettle re-united
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 07:52:11 AM »
Cool story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 08:10:34 AM »
Awesome story
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 10:16:48 AM »
The very rare Weber homing kettle.
regards,
Hal

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 05:06:36 PM »
Very cool!!!