Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Skewered shrimp and Ore-Ida potato "grillers"  (Read 1989 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Skewered shrimp and Ore-Ida potato "grillers"
« on: May 30, 2013, 08:44:02 PM »
I saw a bag today of Ore-Ida Grillers and couldn't resist trying it since the seasoning didn't look too weird. ( And here are some Google images if ya dunno what they are: https://www.google.com/search?q=ore-ida+grillers&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=8iOoUf_ZF47a9QTG9IDIBA&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ )

I'm a fan. Super easy to cook, frozen or even half frozen (bag suggests kept frozen). And really tasty but my french-fry-or-mashed-potatoes-only kids turned them away.

Wanted to flip them "half way through" but using a spatula punted one down into the charcoal. :/ So it was back to turning with some tongs, which sucked but I can't "blame" the situation on the tongs so much as I shouldn't have had food so small on the direct grill to begin with.

Have I mentioned I've grilled 4 days in a row with zero planning, few proper supplies/tools? Did I mention Ore-Ida only supplies directions for, and suggests cooking them on a gas grill? W-T-F is that all about?

The shrimp was easier. Mixture of butter and olive oil but I'd change that up a bit next time. They went on the grill later ("of course", he said). Purchased fresh and deveined but shells left on, 'cause that's what YouTube said would cook best.

About 1/2 of capacity lump char in the chimney, no charcoal holders this time because "it didn't feel right." When I put the charcoal in the kettle I was sure I didn't have enough it looked so barren. One layer covering like 1/4 of the area, but spread out somewhat. But not cooking beef apparently is much easier on fuel and again my luck held out: yummy.

This is everything, 1lb of medium-size shrimp after taters had been cooked and pushed out to the edges:

And all done, crammed onto a standard-size dinner plate:

P.S. Yes we had veggies but they were a frozen bag done on the stovetop. Next time I may have a small cast iron pot and use the Smokey Joe for that, heh.

P.P. S. I went after the potato "griller" that jumped down into the lower grill and rescued it by brushing off a little ash. Tasted as good as the rest.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Skewered shrimp and Ore-Ida potato "grillers"
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 08:56:13 PM »
Two observations from this n00b:

1) Even though I knew it would only be myself and the Mrs. eating the shrimp (I lied to my kids that their chicken nuggets were cooked on the grill but they laughed and knew better) I was worried 1lb wouldn't be enough. But at $11/lb I was too cheap to buy more! It was plenty. But next time I'm buying a frozen bag and planning ahead.

2) It occurs to me that after looking at the images I've been posting that there's "a lot" of wasted (empty) space near the handles with the stock grill. Daddy might "need" a Craycort soon. Related to this, I'm also getting a little annoyed at hooking the lid on the edge ... not because I terribly mind doing so but because the lid intrudes into the cooking area. Daddy might also need the slider holder thingie, too.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 10:06:11 PM »
Nice looking dinner! I'm on a 6 day run myself cooking everyday. The grate handles drove me nuts too. I just upgraded to the hinged grate which seems to give more room. Also makes adding charcoal a breeze. I'm thinking a CI grate will be the next upgrade for me.  I love it on my gasser and miss it on my kettle. Keep the streak alive!
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 10:06:26 PM »
Double post...
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 03:47:45 AM »

2) It occurs to me that after looking at the images I've been posting that there's "a lot" of wasted (empty) space near the handles with the stock grill. Daddy might "need" a Craycort soon. Related to this, I'm also getting a little annoyed at hooking the lid on the edge ... not because I terribly mind doing so but because the lid intrudes into the cooking area. Daddy might also need the slider holder thingie, too.

Food looks great! We do the Ore-Ida grillers often here. As for the grate...the spaces on the sides I think are supposed to be for when you want to add charcoal, cuts down on cooking space. As for the lid hook issue, the Weber Slide Aside is a great accessory.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 06:28:19 AM »

"Wanted to flip them "half way through" but using a spatula punted one down into the charcoal"

.....5 yard penalty.....

"Have I mentioned I've grilled 4 days in a row with zero planning"

......gain of 10 on the play........

"'cause that's what YouTube said would cook best."

.....possible 5 yard penalty....don't believe everything you see.....

"About 1/2 of capacity lump char in the chimney, no charcoal holders this time because "it didn't feel right."   

.......gain of 37&1/2 yards,   use the force  ......................

And all done, crammed onto a standard-size dinner plate:

TOUCHDOWN......!!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 07:00:52 AM »
Looks great! I'm wondering if the potatoes could be skewered too, it would make them easier to flip.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 07:23:15 AM »
@1buckie: I LOL in your general direction.

@Chad A: The Grillers are anywhere from 1/2" thick (should work, might need to double-skewer so's they don't spin?) on down to small, narrow wedge edges that would not. They really need a flat or raised/closed cast iron surface, something more narrow.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 07:29:01 AM »
Nice looking skewers! I just bought a mandolin and can make fries a couple different ways now. I need to give it a try soon.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 03:08:15 PM »
Good looking plate of food!   I did the Ore-Ida "Grillers" last weekend and yes they are a pain and have to use tongs.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......