Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wobbly legs fix?  (Read 2945 times)

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
Re: Wobbly legs fix?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 10:22:26 AM »
https://youtu.be/WSlLg-tAQPs

Sent from my SM-G950F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Wath my video, i used an offset legsocket for demonstrate.

Unfortunately I don't have any offset box end wrenches. Just never saw the need for offsets as I it's not like I am working on 1970s GM V8 engines (great for distributors / timing)...

I am thinking a piece of hardwood dowel with a radiused end should do the trick...
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 10:58:43 AM »
No wobble on my one and only kettle on triangle. Can't stand the flimsy, loose fitting aluminum legs so i went for a 16 gauge stainless pipe.

Stainless threaded rod keeps legs and triangle snug and very stable.

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 06:37:26 AM »
Okay, so I did the, well for lack of a better way of phrasing it, the broomstick fix.... Or wrench fix. In my case I used the handle of an old Snap On ratchet as it was nice and round with a smooth bottom. The legs no longer want to fall out, but it is still wobbly.

I am thinking the aluminum can strip shims is probably the best bet for snugging the fit up enough to get rid of that slop.

It should be noted the Webers that are on display at Home Depot etc... almost to the last one have the legs / sockets drilled and screwed tight to get rid of any slop.

I know folks fussed at me RE: the Jumbo Joe Premium and the fact the legs attach differently. To be honest. The JJP is far more secure than the classic kettle. This really does seem to be an area Weber can do a better job in...
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.