Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How do you clean your kettle?  (Read 1453 times)

yippee

• Smokey Joe
How do you clean your kettle?
« on: August 05, 2018, 05:21:26 PM »
Just a simple question really, what's your regimen for cleaning your kettle? I've had enough cooks on mine now that I feel like it would benefit from a good cleaning. How do you clean yours? What do you use?

Thanks in advance

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: How do you clean your kettle?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 05:23:58 PM »
Cookers in my regular rotation don’t get cleaned. If enough build up forms that I might have a grease fire soon then a quick razor scrape inside the bowl is all I’ll do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 05:43:43 PM »
I keep a stainless steel scrubber in the grill that I use before and after cooking. I wash my hands a lot so I usually keep the paper towels I use to dry my hands with to wipe down the outside of the kettle when it's cooled down. I have a 1" plastic scraper I use to scrape the grease and ash that sweeps dont get. I probably go overboard with the cleaning, but my grills are always looking nice and clean and ready to cook at the drop of a hat!

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 06:04:40 PM »
@Troy's video educated me, and brought me to WKC.  Thanks Troy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d4dMCtz9AM

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 06:12:29 PM »
I have a performer that I use a vortex on pretty regularly for cooking chicken drums, wings and thighs. It gets pretty greasy around the sides of the bowl. About every half dozen cooks or so I give it a quick razor scraping to prevent a grease fire. The lid only gets cleaned when I notice chunks of residue are about to fall off of the inside.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Meatpolice

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 06:14:47 PM »
Razor & simple green heavy duty bbq cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 06:39:47 PM »
Is that a replacement charcoal grate in the clean grill? I wouldn’t spend time cleaning a charcoal grate.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 02:04:28 PM »
Anyone ever try a pressure washer?  I don't necessarily want to be the first, but I was thinking about it.  Maybe I'll try it on a black & see what happens.
regards,
Hal

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 02:49:56 PM »
Anyone ever try a pressure washer?  I don't necessarily want to be the first, but I was thinking about it.  Maybe I'll try it on a black & see what happens.

I’ll fess up. I just did this to my Red thumbscrew 22”. Now, it’s not a gas pressure washer. It’s a Snapon electric model and I think it’s 1600 psi. I dialed down the pressure a bit also.

It did a great job on the exterior and inside the leg sockets but I need to follow up with a razor blade and steel wool inside the lid and bowl. It was really used and neglected. I bet it would clean up my black BBK everyday cooker like new though since it’s not baked on like the red.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 02:59:02 PM »
I've got a gas powered one, so I might have to try it on a black first.
regards,
Hal

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 03:05:50 PM »
I just used a 2400 psi gas powered one on a newer Genesis. It did not remove any  of the grease and food residue from the porcelain the inside. It removed the loose stuff but nothing else. Was great on the inside of the cart where the grease pan had overflowed all over from not being emptied. Even with the most aggressive tip it seemed to do very little. Razor blade was faster.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 03:47:52 PM »
I avoid a lot of heavy cleaning by using HD foil on the indirect side.  When I do clean it’s a razor scraper, 0000 steel wool, and a degreaser.