Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SnS vs. the Snake method  (Read 4815 times)

au4stree

• WKC Brave
SnS vs. the Snake method
« on: July 26, 2018, 01:04:13 PM »
I didn't see this posted elsewhere, so I thought I'd post.  Thought provoking video...

Also, I noticed they titled this Episode #1, implying there will be other comparison type videos.

https://youtu.be/yDO9EMRgLws

Full disclosure:  I own a SnS Plus (v.1) and a DnG for my performer.
Piggs McGee BBQ
"We're kind of a big deal"

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
Re: SnS vs. the Snake method
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 01:25:33 PM »
I'm trying to choose my words here carefully as I know Dave and ABC is well thought of around these parts.  But all I saw was a poorly done sales pitch that didnt really show too much information.   Yes, it is easier to dump coals into a SNS than it is to set up a snake.  He did prove that for sure and I dont think anyone would dispute it.  But.....thats about all I got out of this.  Sure the snake died out after 12 hours (or did he say 13?), and the SNS went a few hours longer. But, in all honesty how many of us who end up doing 12+ hour cooks would be upset that they'd need to add in more coal once a day!  I'd be tempted to say most of us who would spend 12 hours cooking wouldn't mind the 5 minutes required to set up a snake.....this is low and slow cooking we're aiming for right?  So why the need for speed?

I'm surprised there are zero shots of the interior of either grill once the coals were lit or maybe at the end of the video to show the used up snake and the amount of coal left in the SNS.  I was also surprised that Dave touched on this being physics instead of magic....but didnt bother even briefly explaining the physics behind it?  He mentioned the length of this "cook".....I wonder if there was any food in there being cooked and wonder if there was water placed into the SNS? Also surprised to see its the first version of the SNS since the video is so new. 

I dont want to come off complaining about this as I know it is a product that works as advertised.  But I'm glad I got one with a used kettle as I would be pretty unimpressed if I bought this thing for the real asking price! 
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
SnS vs. the Snake method
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 02:20:03 PM »
That was not a convincing video. It would have been much better comparing how they hold temp without the use of an atc.

I would recommend they focus on the two zone convenience and searing action of the sns. (I’m assuming since I don’t have one)

The truth is a snake holds perfect temp for hours and produces great results with no temp controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 02:24:17 PM by HoosierKettle »

au4stree

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 03:14:59 PM »
I think the temperature controllers were used to ensure the best possible comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Piggs McGee BBQ
"We're kind of a big deal"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 03:23:38 PM »
^^^ yes

I have a couple takeaways from the video. I had some mild criticism I shared on his post of this to the Facebook Weber Kettle Fans page. Specifically, I wanted to see Justin (Baby Back Maniac made the video for ABC) count the number of remaining coals after each kettle had been shut down after say, 8 hours.

1) The video topic was "efficiency" which can mean a few different things. Here, it was shown that the same amount of coals lasts longer with an S 'n S for a given temperature in identical kettles. The "same temp" used the assistance of the ATC to eliminate that variable, right?

2) No meat was used, because that's another variable, right?

3) Using differently sized kettles, vent adjustments, meats would all cause the audience to cry "foul." (No pun intended.)

4) The video was obviously not intended to highlight every feature, advantage of the product, or method of using one. Tough crowd here tonight!

The corollary to "longer time" is less fuel used for a given time and temp. Owners of the Summit Charcoal have been telling us this since its inception. Why does that work? Insulation = less heat loss. The video clearly demonstrates that far less heat is getting lost to your backyard with the S 'n S. You can either not believe it, or purchase your own infrared thermometer and run the test yourself, yeah?

The air gap created by the basket is not enough to make the difference. The thicker metal (as compared to Weber baskets) is an additional insulator. The smaller gaps in the connecting walls of an S 'n S means less heat loss before heat reaches the inside kettle walls. That shit adds up.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 03:26:48 PM »
My personal and best time with the SnS was just under 10 hours using Stubbs. I did a head to head with a snake and my SnS at home with a brisket cook and my snake ran about 3 hours longer.

The SnS is easy to setup for sure but my experience is the snake runs longer and only costs me my time.

The SnS is a beast of a searing machine and I love that it keeps coals away from my bowl.

Not knocking the product in any way but like most things YMMV. My SnS was a Christmas present. I’m on the fence if I would personally pay full retail for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 03:37:21 PM »

^^^ yes

I have a couple takeaways from the video. I had some mild criticism I shared on his post of this to the Facebook Weber Kettle Fans page. Specifically, I wanted to see Justin (Baby Back Maniac made the video for ABC) count the number of remaining coals after each kettle had been shut down after say, 8 hours.

1) The video topic was "efficiency" which can mean a few different things. Here, it was shown that the same amount of coals lasts longer with an S 'n S for a given temperature in identical kettles. The "same temp" used the assistance of the ATC to eliminate that variable, right?

2) No meat was used, because that's another variable, right?

3) Using differently sized kettles, vent adjustments, meats would all cause the audience to cry "foul." (No pun intended.)

4) The video was obviously not intended to highlight every feature, advantage of the product, or method of using one. Tough crowd here tonight!

The corollary to "longer time" is less fuel used for a given time and temp. Owners of the Summit Charcoal have been telling us this since its inception. Why does that work? Insulation = less heat loss. The video clearly demonstrates that far less heat is getting lost to your backyard with the S 'n S. You can either not believe it, or purchase your own infrared thermometer and run the test yourself, yeah?

The air gap created by the basket is not enough to make the difference. The thicker metal (as compared to Weber baskets) is an additional insulator. The smaller gaps in the connecting walls of an S 'n S means less heat loss before heat reaches the inside kettle walls. That shit adds up.

Wrong. Cooking a similar sized rack of ribs in each one and losing the atc would have still been a better comparison of efficiency and ease of temp control for the 99.9 percent of grillers who don’t own or want an atc.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 03:38:24 PM »
In other words, who cares how efficient it is with a controller.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 03:41:59 PM »
In other words, who cares how efficient it is with a controller.

This.

Again in my average joe cook off the snake won.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 04:41:00 PM »
Actually, I care about variables being reduced. Tests with uncontrolled variables are pointless. Uncontrolled variables are not "real world" as much as they are unreliable and suspect to misinterpretation.

Ya'll took science in school, right?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 04:47:38 PM »

Actually, I care about variables being reduced. Tests with uncontrolled variables are pointless. Uncontrolled variables are not "real world" as much as they are unreliable and suspect to misinterpretation.

Yes it was great to gather scientific data for a non practical application.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 05:11:08 PM »

Yes it was great to gather scientific data for a non practical application.

Holding temps and gauging fuel times is incredibly relevant for what we do. Ignore them, and the methodology used to attain the data, at your peril?

Don't seek a definitive test for each isolated cook, unless you don't care if it translates to the next one.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 05:34:58 PM »
There are many more variables out of our control. Ambient temperature, barometric pressure, wind speed and direction and humidity. You know, weather.

Also charcoal variables. Point being there is too much out of our control to gain any relevant data to apply to the next cook.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 05:44:22 PM »
There are many more variables out of our control. Ambient temperature, barometric pressure, wind speed and direction and humidity. You know, weather.

Also charcoal variables. Point being there is too much out of our control to gain any relevant data to apply to the next cook.

Can't have 100% certainty, so don't even try to compare? I'm sorry but that's a little too precious, and more importantly, disregards everything that considers decent methodology.

It's fair to say that 2 kettles sitting a foot from each other experience the same ambient temperature, barometric pressure, wind speed and direction and humidity. You know, weather.

It's also reasonable to assert 160 briquets taken from the same Kingsford bag will be very consistent in performance.

Or were we talking about something else, all of a sudden?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 05:53:36 PM »
No sir but you can’t apply those burn times to tomorrow, next week, or next season was my point. It’s also much different without the ATC in a real cook.

Not trying to one up, in all my SnS long cooks I’m refueling at about the 9 hour mark. I’d like to see what other SnS users say their average burn times are on their cooks.