Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Blue turned black and blue  (Read 1379 times)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Blue turned black and blue
« on: July 25, 2018, 06:44:09 PM »
A shout out to @buckeysmoker to selling me a spare blue.  No heavy mods just some heavy cleaning and paint. 

Before

After with paint to the undercarriage: legs, triangle, and ash pot.  A dark Zav handle on top might complete it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baglorious

• Smokey Joe
Re: Blue turned black and blue
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 05:24:54 AM »
Looks great! Beautiful end result!

And not to compliment your kettle and then point out the flaws... (forgive me, I'm a newb).  Doing anything to address the rust on the handle weld?  I've grabbed a handful of kettles since getting into this a few months ago (about to acquire #4).  When I have seen some vintage kettles locally... they've wanted too much and more importantly (to me at least), they've had a couple of pretty significant rust spots on the bowl.  (Much worse than the on the handle joint of yours.)  I've always been somewhat deterred by the significant rust spots.

Doing anything on yours?

Edit:   After writing this post, of course, I did a search on the topic.  Info is out there, and many suggestions to clean as best as possible (without getting to bare metal) and applying oil or bacon grease to 'season' it and prevent further rust.   Just curious if you are of that school of thought? 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 05:38:23 AM by baglorious »

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 06:13:55 AM »
Looks great! Beautiful end result!

And not to compliment your kettle and then point out the flaws... (forgive me, I'm a newb).  Doing anything to address the rust on the handle weld?  I've grabbed a handful of kettles since getting into this a few months ago (about to acquire #4).  When I have seen some vintage kettles locally... they've wanted too much and more importantly (to me at least), they've had a couple of pretty significant rust spots on the bowl.  (Much worse than the on the handle joint of yours.)  I've always been somewhat deterred by the significant rust spots.

Doing anything on yours?

Edit:   After writing this post, of course, I did a search on the topic.  Info is out there, and many suggestions to clean as best as possible (without getting to bare metal) and applying oil or bacon grease to 'season' it and prevent further rust.   Just curious if you are of that school of thought?
Thanks for the feedback.  I have used oil to season rust spots on my vintage kettles.   I also religiously cover my kettles.  I’ve not seen the rust worsen. 

I’m not a big fan of paint.  I don’t mind the “patina” of some scars.   They tell a story.  This one is certainly not vintage one. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 08:38:06 AM »

Very nice blue, @michaelmilitello !

@baglorious , well done on the search!  There is a wealth of info that can easily be searched on this site.
You are correct about applying vegetable oil or bacon grease to help prevent further rust.
Colored paint on a bowl will eventually turn black after enough exposures to heat.  That has been my experience.
Not sure about the lid.  I never applied paint to a lid, only the bowl.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.