Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Greetings from Northwest Indiana  (Read 1097 times)

baglorious

• Smokey Joe
Greetings from Northwest Indiana
« on: July 18, 2018, 10:58:08 PM »
Howdy.  New member.  Joined the Virtual Weber Bulletin Board after buying a new (used) WSM... and all of a sudden, my kettle collection seems to be expanding.  Once I get into something... start looking at forums... then look out.  Next thing you know, the wife is annoyed (perhaps justifiably) and the size of the garage becomes increasingly inadequate.

My first kettle (and the one I've owned for several years) is a one touch in black, mounted on an old One-Touch Platinum cart that I inherited from a friend (his kettle was heavily rusted).  Has been my go-to for years, and I still love it. 

Then, I started researching a bit, as I wanted to learn to smoke.  Bought a slow-n-sear... couldn't resist the WSM 22 on CL... and then, it began.  (And I joined the Virtual Weber Bullet forms as well, which didn't help slow my roll at all.)

In the past 2 months, I've happily razor scrubbed and steel-wooled a couple of kettles (my OTP... and a standard kettle I found and supplied to my brother in-law),  I began modding my OTP (lid hinge, added a drilled port and adapter for a PartyQ (bought a PartyQ that I use on the WSM or this kettle), added a gasket, dome thermometer, wooden handle on the vent, marked the bottom vent.  Then, having realized I kinda ran out of things to mod on that particular kettle... began looking for another performer.  Don't like the fact that the top on my OTP is so ugly (and I've already sanded it... and it is already dirty again), SO, I decided to look for an older SS performer.  And it didn't take long for a lucky find... red mist SS performer, with zero rust.  I did make a questionably long drive for it.  (1.45 hrs each way.)  That is now scrubbed and beautiful.  Don't think I'll mod that one (perhaps just the stick on lid gasket).  Now, a used 26er (with the 'uneven leg syndrome' is on the way, compliments of a friend.  Already have plans for a 26 performer build, modeled after some of the posts on WKC.  Excited!

Restraint is not necessarily my strong suit.  However, compared to my similar behavior battling a guitar addiction (from which I have almost entirely recovered), these Weber kettles are delightfully inexpensive!  (I kinda suspect that once I finish the 26er build... and perhaps acquire a Jumbo Joe or Smokey Joe and do a smoker mod... that'll probably be enough for a while, lol.)

Happy to be here.  Thanks for a great site and forum!

baglorious

• Smokey Joe
Re: Greetings from Northwest Indiana
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 11:06:53 PM »
Added some pics of my kettles.   Wasn't smart enough to take a full 'before' pic on the red SS Performer... I'd already started scrubbing it a bit, but you get the idea.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 12:25:31 AM »
Welcome from the pacific northwest. That's a nice red mist ssp.  I like to mod all my grills also so it's nice to see you aboard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 02:49:18 AM »
Welcome from the south side of Indianapolis. What part of nw Indiana?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 03:36:35 AM »
Welcome from Doraville,Ga. you are going to fit right in!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 03:54:11 AM »
Welcome from Virginia Beach, VA.

baglorious

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 08:34:53 AM »
Welcome from the south side of Indianapolis. What part of nw Indiana?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LaPorte Co.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 12:53:07 PM »
Hello and welcome to the WKC from Eugene, Oregon.   NICE SSP, 'enuf said :)

SJ
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 12:55:04 PM by SmokenJoe »
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 03:31:27 PM »
Welcome from Plainfield, Indiana!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk