Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anyone know the best way to remove paint from a kettle?  (Read 1033 times)

arstrobel

• Happy Cooker
Anyone know the best way to remove paint from a kettle?
« on: August 01, 2018, 07:35:50 PM »
I recently purchased my 4th kettle at a garage sale and the lower half of the kettle was "touched up" with what appears to be silver hi-temp engine paint.  It comes off very slowly with steel wool and dawn or even slower with a green 3m pad, both with no scratching.

Anyone have a better plan for paint removal?  It's really driving me nuts, and I keep having homicidal thoughts about the perpetrator.
Thanks in advance!

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Anyone know the best way to remove paint from a kettle?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 07:42:39 PM »
cellar2ful turned me onto Jasco paint and epoxy stripper. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 07:54:32 PM by Grillagin »

arstrobel

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 07:47:41 PM »
cellar2full turned me onto Jasco paint and epoxy stripper.

Does it leave the enamel behind?  The older style enamel.  Thanks in advance!

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 07:54:11 PM »
cellar2full turned me onto Jasco paint and epoxy stripper.

Does it leave the enamel behind?  The older style enamel.  Thanks in advance!

@Cellar2ful would be able to answer that better than me.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Anyone know the best way to remove paint from a kettle?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 08:22:47 PM »
Razor blade is much quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 08:30:03 PM »
What Bob BQ said, a razor blade will take it right off AND leave the porcelain... good luck
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 08:56:00 PM »

I've only had to remove small bits of paint splatters or over spray from kettle lids and bowls. I used a razor blade and steel wool as @varekai and @Bob BQ recommended above. Luckily, I have not come across a painted kettle as of yet. 

@Grillagin  -   I believe my suggestion of using Jasco was for a older painted triangle you were having difficulties removing paint from. I have never used it on porcelain. 

You can try using Jasco paint and epoxy stripper.  Most hardware stores should have it.  It's paste or jell like so it will cling to the triangle.  Should take the paint right off. Make sure you follow the directions wearing,  gloves and working on it outside you house.  It's poisonous so read and follow any recommended precautions.  Your other option is to find a 18" donor kettle and switch triangles, then resell the donor.  If you use the Jasco, let me know how it turns out.

Jim

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

arstrobel

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 09:12:38 PM »

I've only had to remove small bits of paint splatters or over spray from kettle lids and bowls. I used a razor blade and steel wool as @varekai and @Bob BQ recommended above. Luckily, I have not come across a painted kettle as of yet. 

@Grillagin  -   I believe my suggestion of using Jasco was for a older painted triangle you were having difficulties removing paint from. I have never used it on porcelain. 

You can try using Jasco paint and epoxy stripper.  Most hardware stores should have it.  It's paste or jell like so it will cling to the triangle.  Should take the paint right off. Make sure you follow the directions wearing,  gloves and working on it outside you house.  It's poisonous so read and follow any recommended precautions.  Your other option is to find a 18" donor kettle and switch triangles, then resell the donor.  If you use the Jasco, let me know how it turns out.

Jim

Thanks all for the input.  I've been really apprehensive about trying anything extreme in fear of ruining the finish.  I'll try to get and post  some before and after pics and see how many hours it takes to get it all off.  At least the lid was mostly spared from the carnage.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 05:41:16 AM »

I used a razor blade on an entire kettle that was completely covered - bowl and lid.  Razor blade worked like a charm. Tended to be easier if it was wet, so I'd spray it down with water first.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 09:43:03 AM »
Paint is soft when hot. I have started some charcoal and then used a single edge razor blade. Peeled beautifully. The paint rolled up in curls.