Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM/Kettle interchangeability  (Read 1424 times)

solidgoldstein

• WKC Brave
WSM/Kettle interchangeability
« on: September 08, 2018, 06:42:27 PM »
Happened to come across a lid and mid section piece, along with grates, charcoal ring, from a 18.5” WSM on OfferUp for $10 (score!). They were picked up by my father a few hours away, and will get them later this month when we see each other. They need a small cleanup which in my own time I’m sure I’ll get to, but my question is should the middle and top section fit on a regular 18.5” kettle bowl? I’m sure someone here has done this, with pictures. My 18.5” is a one touch, so was planning to do some snake charcoal setup smokes. Any help is wonderful. Thanks much!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
Re: WSM/Kettle interchangeability
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 11:21:21 PM »
I have it. It took me some months to get all the parts as it's not that easy here in Europe. First I bought the middle section. As the standard lid is not fitting it, I had to find the original one. Thnx to @vwengguy who found a complete WSM with a spare lid, I was able to convince the seller to sell me only the lid. I had also an issue with the door. As I was not going to pay the full amount for a new one by Weber, I eventually found one with broken latch which I was able to repair. Finally I found a SS food mixing bowl which was (I though it was...) fitting the lips for water pan. I was wrong. I had to find a solution for that as the bowl was literally 1/4 inch too small. The solution was SS clothes pegs which are now keeping the bowl from falling. Oh, I forgot one more thing - the charcoal ring. As I was also not going to pay the full price by Weber I figured out a solution which was a SS cake cutting ring[emoji23]. It's very thin but working really perfect.
So, having all this done I have now a very nice piece of equipment for the camping. I take also the standard lid with me and I have there always both - smoker and BBQ.

Btw - yesterday I added few extras: SS sweepers, ash bucket as well as a different temp gauge. I will give a try to the new setup today.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 06:44:12 AM »
So I tried the new setup. I made 5 lbs wings and 2 lbs pork belly. Everything was delicious [emoji3] Additionally, as I didn't fire up my 26 for a long time I thought to do it today and made some venison [emoji108]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 12:06:21 PM by qrczak1 »

StuartG

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 11:07:57 AM »
Nice bit of kit, I might look into something similar

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 12:09:20 AM »
Well, I think the combo wouldn't win any beauty contest [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] but it's really practical (especially for a camping or even tailgating).

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 08:19:07 PM »
Yes, it will fit. Ash build up on the one touch sweeps may be an issue for long cooks so it's best to use a pan or something as an ash shield
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 09:49:01 PM »
I did already few long cooks and had no issue with air circulation using the sweepers.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 06:31:29 AM »
Sent you a pm @solidgoldstein