Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: No-Touch Ash Sweeper  (Read 2557 times)

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
No-Touch Ash Sweeper
« on: November 04, 2018, 03:40:41 PM »
This is a WKC exclusive...its not on FB or any other fake Weber Grill & BBQ web site...this is the real shit, right here, on WKC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55XPAHM0G8Q&feature=youtu.be

The contraption is still under construction while I work out some fit-up bugs and seal it up so the ashes cant get to the motor. It hasn't been used yet but Im sure it'll push ashes around in circles though. After I get it sealed up I'll take it for a spin. Im considering fastening the ash catcher ring to the tabs so the massive amount of torque the roti makes dont destroy anything by poping the whole system off the tabs under the 26er.

My original idea was to use a battery opp. rotisserie motor and rewire the on/off switch so it could be relocated to the handle on the kettle, making it so I won't have to bend over to turn it on & off. Maybe I'll do that for gen.2.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 07:56:34 AM by Hell Fire Grill »
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: No-Touch Ash Sweeper
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 04:42:36 PM »

Dude, this is a very cool application to the OT.

Er, I mean the NT ...  ;) ;D ;D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 02:33:36 AM »
Very cool!!!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
No-Touch Ash Sweeper
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 02:48:43 AM »
I sure like that idea. It makes sense. I don’t like having to bend down, sweep the ashes just to have them blow up into my face.
Only negative thing I can think of is if a piece of coal gets lodged between the blade and the hole, do you think it would bend up the blade or bind the motor? That happens when I use lump coal so I just open the sweeps and push the coals down by paper towel.. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 07:35:59 AM »

Only negative thing I can think of is if a piece of coal gets lodged between the blade and the hole, do you think it would bend up the blade or bind the motor?

Seeing @Hell Fire Grill 's mods over the last couple of years, he would probably get by that issue by making a set ash sweeps out of 1/4" steel with sharpened edges. 
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 07:53:28 AM »
Travis I cant answer the ? because Im not sure exactly what'll happen yet. I think it's reasonable to think too large of chunks will bind it up but I have to guess that the tabs on the upper ring will fail before the blades deflect.

I do recommend that you use double crossed fire grates and/or put a piece of expanded metal on top of your fire grates to force the charcoal to burn up more before it gets to the sweeps. That will nearly stop any binding caused by too big of pieces falling through, it'll also conserve fuel and give you more consistent heat across the grate to.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 11:00:28 AM »
That’s a good point about using the grate or expanded metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 02:50:40 PM »
Another nice mod! Only Hell Fire Grill  could come up with these creative ideas.  I like the idea of using battery operated switch by the handle rather than having the motor plugged into the electrical outlet.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 06:30:59 PM »
I’m cornfused?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 06:39:20 PM »
Coolest. Mod. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 05:14:50 PM »
Simply Awesome.

jacko1962

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 10:51:44 AM »
I like this setup. I may try it over the winter. The only thing different I will be doing is spinning the pizza stone slowly in my kettle pizza oven. I have the ash cater but removed the sweeps.
Weber Genesis 1000 Black with all red oak, 1992 Redhead Performer.  2014 18.5 black. 1985 Black GA

Looking for P code Red Premium Master touch and a EO code Blue Premium Master touch .